Search Unity

Resolved Some shaders not rendering in build

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by Thygrrr, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

I fixed up my project to build to investigate some performance issues I have been seeing.
    Two shaders (but not all - the terrain outline an the ship icons (not in this screen) are also on an entity) do not render in the build.

Where do I start looking?

At Runtime, I can see this:
    upload_2023-3-15_8-54-53.png

But I have added the respective shaders to "Always Include" and I have explicitly specified the fog modes uses.

Interestingly, the "unshaded" fragments behave like a depth mask (though the skybox is showing through them and it's not uninitilaized HOM). They are made with ShaderGraph, the one on the spaceships is a super basic URP Lit shader with a material prop from ECS for the color, the other is just an opaque, custom lit shader.

Actual:
    upload_2023-3-15_8-43-38.png

Expected:
    upload_2023-3-15_8-40-16.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  2. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

upload_2023-3-15_8-58-13.png

some progress, but... HUH? Especially these variants should be expressly included

3. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

Resolved (for current purposes): I turned off
    Strict Shader Variant Matching
    and now it renders as expected, but it's unclear why it removed them, I believed they were in the shader variants collection.

upload_2023-3-15_9-9-0.png

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  4. itelefon

itelefon

Did you submit this in a bug report? We also encountered this issue and couldn't find anything for a long time, only accidentally found a solution ourselves and only then found this forum. We spent a lot of time on this.

5. mingwai

mingwai

Small Graphics Potato Unity Technologies

Hi, we have a known issue that the shader variant is being stripped if your scene has a different fog / lightmap mode with the subscene. Turning strict shader variant matching OFF could means that the object is using a fallback shader variant which rendering could be wrong.

Try these to see if it fixes your issue:

Method (1):
    1. Open ProjectSettings > Graphics > Shader Stripping
    2. On Fog Modes / Lightmap Modes, select Custom
    3. Click on Import from current scene, or select the correct modes to make sure subscene objects have the correct fog and lightmap modes to build shader variants, In your case, the error mentions FOG_EXP so you should tick the checkbox "Exponential" for Fog Modes.

Method (2):
    1. Open the subscene and apply the same fog / lighting settings on the Lighting Panel as the original scene