Search Unity

Some questions about Unity editor License

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AriyanRajabi10, Aug 31, 2021.

1. AriyanRajabi10

AriyanRajabi10

Hi, I have some questions about Unity editor License.
    I want to build a simple 2D Android game (and I may upgrade it to 3D later). it will have 2 versions, first one with ads in it and the second one will be premium edition with no ads, both will have in app purchases.

1- can I do this with Free (personal) edition of the editor? (I'm the only person working with this project)
    2- can I use Google's AdMob in this license of unity?
    3- is there any kind of restriction about using ad providers or in-app purchase providers? like if I can't use an specific company
    4- can I advertise the premium edition of the game inside basic version?
    5- can I use unity personal edition to sell games if I live in Iran?
    6- if the answer to question 5 is No, can I use help of a family member who lives in Canada to publish my project?

thanks

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Whether you can use the free license depends on your finances. For an individual, this means either your annual revenue generated "in connection with your use of the Unity Software", or if you are working on a project for someone else it depends on that someone else's finances. See the Unity Software Additional Terms for more information:
    https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

The Unity license tier has nothing to do with using AdMob.

The Unity license tier has nothing to do with ad providers or in app purchases. Those kinds of restrictions are common though with the various market platforms, so you should investigate whichever ones you are planning to use (Google Play Store, Apple App Store, Steam, etc, etc).

Again, investigate these restrictions with whichever market platforms you intend on using, as this has nothing to do with the Unity license tier.

Again, investigate these restrictions with whichever market platforms you intend on using, as this has nothing to do with the Unity license tier. If you're planning to sell directly instead of using an existing store, you'll need to investigate import restrictions in whichever country you plan on selling within. For the United States for example, you'd probably be looking at information provided by the US State Department. Other countries have similar departments.

You're asking questions now which require specific details, and a lawyer to answer.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Effectively today, the only real restrictions you'll run into with the free Unity license are:

1) The already mentioned financial threshold limits
    2) Can't disable the "Made With Unity" splash screen
    3) Limited access to certain Unity provided add on services

Unity even caved and gave away "dark mode" :p So there's hardly anything left which is locked out of the free tier license.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

To answer 2-4, you can do whatever you want in software/games you make with Unity. We place no limitations for what can and cannot be inside your app/game.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Almost no limitations for what can and cannot be inside your app/game... :p

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Fair enough! I forgot about the gambling restriction :). Certainly nothing that applies to the OP, though.

Joe-Censored likes this.