Search Unity

Some Questions about the engine

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jbb1979, Aug 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbb1979

jbb1979

So, there are some things I really want, from the engine . . I wanted to ask if they were already there . .??

First, I would like a feature, where a model can have several textures, so for instance, the head is in one file and, the face in another . . This is also a problem for the 3D DCC software ( Blender, 3DS Max ) as, they must make the UV maps that get packed in to the FBX files, so that they know how this works . . But, I'd really like a feature, where a model can use several different texture maps, not just one big one, so one can have alpha transparent hair in one image file, high-quality face textures in another file, and, so on . .

The other thing I have a problem with is, when exporting from Blender, the model must be made of 100 % connected vertices . . So, I can't have eyes that are separate objects, every-thing must be a continuous mesh or, it doesn't get exported .. I have a problem with that, may-be I don't know the correct way ?

Last, I would like a terrain editor, where I can paint textures on individual 1 x 1 m square ' terrain ' planes, so I can easily make a modular terrain and, in each 1 x 1 terrain, I can place the specific textures I want . . And, also I would like the ability to add decals from alpha images, like scattered leaves, so on and, ultimately have the engine bake all these textures together, so it all runs well . .

I'm not an expert and, am very New to Unity and, Blender soft-ware . . But, these be nice features . .

I Apologize, if this appears dumb . ..

Facepalm Big Pete 03.png

<3 <3 :)

2. Man, stop flooding the forum, please.

You can have multiple textures.

You can have more than one mesh in an FBX.

It doesn't work like that. Although almost. You really need to start at the beginning. Try to start with the beginner tutorials first to get to know the engine and go step by step. You're choosing too ambitious goal.

JoeStrout, jbb1979 and Ryiah like this.
  3. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you, I just painted a Quixel Diffuse and normal map directly onto this cube, in Blender, then I saved the Textured painted results and, applied them in Unity - - Result, you can paint any-thing onto any object, directly in blender and, create any-thing, almost, just with simple painting - -

Hell Box 9823525.jpg Hell Floor 03444.jpg Hell Box 9823244.jpg

4. jbb1979

jbb1979

Any maps you make in Quixel, you can just paint them on separately, in Blender and, save all those different maps and, apply them in Unity - - Result, you can basically make anything, you ever want, with Quixel and, Unity - -

You can paint Normal maps that match a diffuse map onto the same object, in Blender and, Make anything - --

5. jbb1979

jbb1979

So, all the high-detail maps you make in Quixel, you can paint them separately on any object and, Make any-thing ! !

6. jbb1979

jbb1979

Basically, you can make a really cool texture in Quixel and, paint all those maps together in a single texture on, any object, by just using on-screen texture painting, so every surface in your game looks professional - --
    Hell Box 9823527788.jpg Hell Floor 03444.jpg

7. jbb1979

jbb1979

And, it's all free, To do - -

8. jbb1979

jbb1979

Okay, Thank you - -

9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Please, read the documentation, it explains things like this. If you have have SPECIFIC questions, then ask them.

People here are friendly and willing to help, but remember everyone here are sharing their time to learn and help others. Please be respectful of that. Rather than saying "this is what I want, how do I do it?" Take the time and put in the effort to go through the docs and tutorials first. Not putting in some minimal effort and using the resources available and then expecting others to step by step explain everything to you is pretty rude.

Developing games is a long journey that requires a lot of effort. Burning your bridges on a useful resource like this is going to make it even more difficult. Calm down, relax... take your time. Read the docs, do the tutorials. DO NOT post everything that comes into your head minute after minute. DO NOT post comments that are off topic or have no content. DO make sure your thread title is very clear and specific.

Again people are more that willing to help you on your journey, please be respectful and considerate and it will all work out for you if you stick with it.

Closing this as it is off-topic and in the wrong place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.