Search Unity

Some questions about the Eidos' GridSensor

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by simonini_thomas, Feb 11, 2021.

1. simonini_thomas

simonini_thomas

Hey there!

I'm working on a demo to see how RL can help casual games studios to make NPC using RL (instead of Behavior Trees or FSM etc). So I modified the Tanks game made by Unity in 2015.

It's a multi-agent environment, where you have 2 tanks that need to kill its opponent. I use the PPO (proximal policy optimization) architecture.

After some very good advice and feedback from this thread, I've updated my environment.

So, I'm using the GridSensor provided by Eidos, in the MLAgents.Extension package, I read the documentation (thanks again Luke-Houlihan), this is an amazing sensor system but there are things that I don't understand in the documentation.

The tank observation looks like this:
    - A GridSensor (that detects tags, shell height position, and enemy health).
    - A vector that contains the localRotation of the turret (in order to help the agent to shoot in the correct direction).
    - A vector that contains its own health.
    - A bool indicates that the agent can shoot or not (to avoid spamming like hell).

What I've done
    I've overridden the GetObjectData method of the GridSensor, since, by default, only the tag information is used. I need, in addition to the tag info, the enemy health and the shell height position (to know if the bullet is about to touch the floor (close to 0) and hence explode).

Code (CSharp):
    1. protected override float[] GetObjectData(GameObject currentColliderGo,
    2.             float typeIndex, float normalized_distance)
    3.         {
    4.             float[] channelValues = new float[ChannelDepth.Length]; // ChannelDepth.Length = 4 in this example
    6.             channelValues[0] = typeIndex;
    8.             Rigidbody goRb = currentColliderGo.GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
    10.             if (goRb != null)
    11.             {
    12.                 Debug.Log(goRb.gameObject.name);
    13.                 channelValues[1] = goRb.position.y;
    14.                 Debug.Log("channelvalues[1]" + channelValues[1]);
    16.                 // This is to avoid errors (since values can't be negative)
    17.                 if (channelValues[1] < 0f)
    18.                 {
    19.                     channelValues[1] = 0.0f;
    20.                 }
    21.                 if (channelValues[1] > 3f)
    22.                 {
    23.                     channelValues[1] = 3.0f;
    24.                 }
    25. // Get the ennemy tanks' health
    26.                 if (goRb.gameObject.layer == 9)
    27.                 {
    28.                     channelValues[2] = goRb.gameObject.GetComponent<TankHealth>().m_NormalizedCurrentHealth;
    30.                 }
    31.             }
    32.             return channelValues;
    33.         }
    34.     }

My Questions related to GridSensor
    1. Is there is an official implementation example of the modified GridSensor explained in the documentation (the example with Health and enemy)? Because, as you can see above, my version is quite dirty and I want to learn the best practices with GridSensor. They provide a good example in the GridSensor code but it's just to detect the position of a rigidbody.

2. In the documentation, on Channel Based section, they said:
    To distinguish between categorical and continuous data, one would use the ChannelDepth array to signify the ranges that the values in the channelValues array could take. If one sets ChannelDepth to be 1, it is assumed that the value of channelValues is already normalized. Else ChannelDepth represents the total number of possible values that channelValues can take.

--> Does it means that if we have a range of values (for instance for health: 0 - 100) we need to define 100 to channel depth element and it will be automatically normalized by the GridSensor. Or we need to normalize by ourselves?

3. In the documentation on Channel Hot section, they said:
    ChannelDepth = {3, 5}

Like in the previous example, the "enemy" in the example is encoded as [0, 0, 1].

For the "health" however, the 5 signifies that the health should be represented by a OneHot encoding of 5 possible values, and in this case that encoding is
    round(.6*5) = round(3) = 3 => [0, 0, 0, 1, 0].

--> What I understand is that detected tags are automatically encoded into a one-hot array.
    But not continuous values (such as health).
    So what I don't understand is that if we define that we want a one-hot array of 5 for health (= define 5 to this channel depth element), do we need to normalize ourselves the continuous value if we want that the GridSensor will automatically one-hot encode this value? (aka for instance if health = 90, we normalize it ourselves so health = 0.9 and then the GridSensor will transform it to [0,0,0,0,1])?

4. Do you think that for my Tank environment, it's better to use Channel Based or One Hot version of the Grid Depth type? And do you have tips on how to choose?

5. Is there is a way to see the whole output of the GridSensor, I mean before it is transformed to a PNG[] in order to debug?

Again, thanks for your help,

tjumma likes this.
  2. ruoping_unity

ruoping_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

The first link you put on the words "this thread" doesn't seem to point to a thread so I might not have some background knowledge about what you're trying to put here, but I can go on and answer your questions:

1. Currently the only doc around GridSensor is the one you linked above. But you made a good point here and we could try to add some more concrete implementation for the example in the doc. Thanks for pointing it out.
    One thing I noticed from your code is that you're truncating the y position to 0~3. If my understanding is correct that you just want to detect the y position value, this might not be what you want. The sensor requires your data to be either normalized to 0~1 if your data is continuous, or should be within a maximum number you specified for categorical data (if you specify there're 3 different kinds of weapons it won't accept a number larger than 3). So you can have negative or >3 positions but you might want to normalize it to 0~1 according to the min/max possible value (assume channelDepth=1 here).
    Another thing is you're collecting the y position no matter what the object is. Given your descriptions, if you only want the shell height you might want to filter first by the object type.

2. Right after the section you quoted, it gives you the instructions of how to deal with health in that case (first channel for whether there's an enemy and second for health):

Using the example described earlier, if one was using Channel Based Grid Observations, they would have a ChannelDepth = {2, 1} to describe that there are two possible values for the first channel and the 1 represents that the second channel is already normalized. As the "enemy" is in the second position of the observed tags, its value can be normalized by:

num = detectableObjects.IndexOfTag("enemy")/ChannelDepth[0] = 2/2 = 1;

By using this formula, if there wasn't an object within the cell then the value would be 0.

As the ChannelDepth for the second channel is defined as 1, the collected health value (60% = 0.6) can be encoded directly. Thus the encoded data at this cell is: [1, .6]

Since we want to detect health as a continuous data here (a range of value), you should specify channel depth to 1 and normalize it yourself (enemy_health/max_health) which is 60/100=0.6 in the documentation quoted above. Setting channel depth > 1 is for categorical data like you have different tags of detectable objects, different kinds of weapons, etc.

To your question, if you define 100 (or any number > 1) channels it will be normalized automatically.

3. Yes you're correct. For continuous values you have to normalize it first by yourself.

4. The question of which one to use is still case-by-case. If you're using categorical data like tags you can try the one-hot encoding first since that's more intuitive. You're also encouraged to experiment with both.

5. Currently we don't offer an API to print the raw output and you might need to dig into the source code if you really need to get the actual numbers. What's easier to do is you can check the "ShowGizmos" option and it will show a nice visualization of what the sensor is collecting.

Hope that helps with your questions.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    simonini_thomas likes this.
  3. simonini_thomas

simonini_thomas

First of all, my sincere appologies for the delayed response.

Thank you very much for your answers, it really helped me to understand GridSensor. I will post the results when the training is finished on this thread and on the former one (yes sorry the correct link was indeed this one).

Have a nice day

4. dmix101

dmix101

Where do you override the GetObjectData method? I tried to override it in my agent script (the script where you would also override OnActionReceived, Heuristic etc), but I get a error saying No suitable method found to overide.

I am making a Pacman AI, so I am using a grid senor to get the top down view of the map.

Also does the grid sensor automatically pass in the normalizedDistance in the Channel Matrix along with the object type, or do we have to pass that in separately when I override the OnActionReceived method?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  5. michaelliutt

michaelliutt

I am trying to create something similar, and I found this post very helpful. I have one additional question: as in your code snippet, you are able to get the health using

channelValues[2] = goRb.gameObject.GetComponent<TankHealth>()

I am assuming that TankHealth is a custom script that you wrote. But in my case, I seem to be unable to find the type type that I wrote in script folder under assets (type or namespace cannot be found). So I am wondering what you did to achieve this? Perhaps location of that script, or serialization, or some specific using of namespace? Thanks in advance.