Search Unity

Question Some questions about IJobChunk determinism

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by PublicEnumE, May 7, 2021.

1. PublicEnumE

PublicEnumE

If I schedule an IJobChunk, what kind of determinism can be expected?

1. If I schedule the job twice, will the exact same chunks be processed in the exact same order, both times?

Will the same chunkIndex always map to the same chunk, in both of those jobs?

2. if I create two different queries, but with the same component types, and then use them to schedule two different jobs of the same type, will those jobs iterate over the same chunks on an identical order?

3. Reality check: Can change filters have any impact on the order in which chunks are processed in an IJobChunk? (What I’ve found in the source so far points to no. Order is the same - the unchanged chunks are just skipped.)

4. Reality check: Is it correct to assume there is no expectation of consistency about which chunks end up being batched together on a thread? That seems like it would be entirely up to which threads are available, and what the scheduler thinks is the most efficient split between them.

5. Is there any correlation between thread index and chunk index? Are all the chunk indices processed on thread index ‘0’ guaranteed to lower than all the chunk indices processed on thread index ‘1’?

My guess is - no. Unity will steal indices from one thread and reassign them to another, idle thread - in the middle of a job’s execution - if the first thread is taking too long.

6. I’m curious how Unity maintains a deterministic order of chunks, internally. ArchetypeChunks don’t seem to have any intrinsic data that could be used to sort them, so I’m guessing they are stored in the order that they’re created?

Thank you very much for any advice.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

1. If there are not structural changes between scheduling the two jobs then yes.
    2. Yes
    3. No, simply skips them
    4. No. The work stealing system and number of threads can vary the order in which the chunks get processed. Your code has to be deterministic against chunkIndex. If it must be determinsitic in order for some reason, then you must schedule it as a non-parallel job.
    5. no, generally it splits the work in batches for threads to be independent ranges first and then the different threads start stealing form each other
    7. We keep a list of archetypes, each archetype registers with all matching queries. Each archetype maintains an array of chunks.
    So the order is matching query / array -> archetype -> chunk list

Timboc and PublicEnumE like this.
  3. PublicEnumE

PublicEnumE

Thank you, these are awesome answers.

How is each Archetype’s chunk list ordered? Is that sorted in any way?

Or is it just based on the order in which new chunks with that archetype are created and destroyed?

Would an Archetype’s chunk list have the same order in two different instances of the game?

I should probably say that I’m not doing anything crazy with this info. It’s to better understand what is and isn’t deterministic, to stay informed and sane.

Thanks again!

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

It is based on the order in which chunks are created and destroyed.

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

>Would an Archetype’s chunk list have the same order in two different instances of the game?
    If you everything is created / destroyed in exactly the same order then on two different machines it will be in exactly the same order.

For deterministic behaviour you need to make sure that everything is created / destroyed / oredered exactly the same, then the behaviour will be deterministic.