Search Unity

Some newbie questions

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Danwaw, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Danwaw

Danwaw

Hello,

i have some questions about Unity projects. I try create my first project 3d very simple FPS game (shooter).

1) game on multiplayer with database MySQL. Can mysql be used to hold data?
    2) game available from the browser (www) - can?
    3) multiplayer server - what server? what server need to run multiplayer game?

Thanks for reply!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That is not a very simple game. You're talking about multiplayer, online play, storing data in mysql — yes that's all possible, but it is advanced stuff.

If this is your first project, you should instead be trying to recreate Flappy Bird or Doodle Jump or, if really feeling ambitious, maybe Space Invaders.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you're talking about a networked multiplayer game, you're already talking about some of the most complex and difficult projects possible, which exclude the adjective "simple" from their description.

Yes. The typical approach is a PHP/webserver front end which talks to the MySQL database. Talk to the webserver using UnityWebRequest. Developing your PHP front end for the database is a bit outside the scope of the Unity forum, but since it is a common setup there's endless sources of info you can google.
    Unity supports WebGL builds. Though WebGL suffers from the web browser exerting much control over the environment. The browser controls how much memory is available, what network protocols are available (my info is only websockets), and you may be limited to single thread performance.

See this thread for some options:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/wha...of-available-network-solutions-assets.609088/

Typically with an FPS game you are going for fast performance, so will want a UDP based network API (so not supported on WebGL due to browser).

I'd highly suggest if this is your first Unity game, to postpone your multiplayer project and start with an actually simple single player game. Something like Frogger, not even an FPS. But good luck!