Search Unity

Some neat explosions

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by magwo, Aug 7, 2010.

1. magwo

magwo

Must say I've spent way too much time creating these explosions. But it's a lot of fun.. thought you might enjoy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4DBOCw_yns

Sorry for the lack of variation in victims. :)
    The game is AH-6: Rain of Fire.

2. tatelax

tatelax

Too much time = No way!

That looks very good. I remember playing your game a while ago, I really liked it. At least it looks like the game I played lol.

3. 3dDude

3dDude

nice 8)

4. Tom163

Tom163

very nice, one of the few game explosions where you "feel" the force of the explosion.

The one thing that you should add is changing the terrain texture at the explosion spot. It looks odd to have all this dust thrown up and afterwards the landscape is a clean as before.

5. magwo

magwo

I agree! Not sure what the best way is though. Any tips?

6. Tom163

Tom163

You have the x/y coordinates of your explosion. You know where your terrain is and how large it is.

From that, you can find the splatmap coordinate with some math, basically a coordinate system transformation.

Then, you'd use SetPixel() or if you want a larger spot SetPixels() to change the terrain textures. Have a black, blasted texture ready and set up in the terrain, say in the 4th (A) channel, then reduce the RGB values by some large value, say to 10% of their old value, and put the rest into the A channel. That gives you nice blending. Make sure R+G+B+A always adds up to 1.0 (if you use more than one splatmap, R+G+B+A+R2+G2+B2+A2,etc have to add up to 1.0) - otherwise you will get very dark or overbright terrain. In fact, the darkening could theoretically be used to give more variety to the terrain, but I've not experimented with that so far, don't know if it works ok or gives weird results.

7. 3dDude

3dDude

or you could use a projector........ i would think that would be simpler :D