Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Some money for Ageia...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taumel, Jul 28, 2005.

1. taumel

taumel

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Unity Technologies

Yup. The technology of the future in Unity. Today.

Doesn't that sound compelling?

d

3. taumel

taumel

:O)

Yes it does a lot! One of the main reasons why i'm with unity and also the feature i tell people about unity. I hope that you can introduce the physics layering as you called it in the near future!

Now fmod would be the equivalent on the sfx-side. And openGl2 on the gfx-side. And the pc-version on the src-side. And lots of eye-candy which is hopefully to come... :O)

Hmmm how did you exactly come to the conclusion that you wanna go with novodex instead of ode? I think this was a brave and/or foresighted step.

Greetings,

taumel

4. Richard_B

Richard_B

I didn't realize it is the same engine used by Unreal Tournament - awsome!

Richard.

5. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Unity Technologies

We were never happy with ODE. It was brittle and hard to work with. Not bad code, just not so well maintained. We ended up fixing a bunch of bugs in it... time better spent on featuers (right, taumel : ).

We were looking around and Novodex just stood out. They were very flexible to work with (we visited them up in Silicon Valley in March to work out our contracts), had a flexible licensing scheme. And they have incredibly high quality, and a lot of future potential.

We also looked at Havok at some point, but they're quite the opposite on all three counts (difficult work with, unreasonable licensing scheme, little future potential).

So there... it's great to be able to provide such forward reaching technology right now. And: when the PPU boards come out, just wait and see action!

d.

6. taumel

taumel

Again, very good decision you made!

But i never heard of someone who found it difficult to work with havok people. Maybe this has changed...

Greetings,

taumel

7. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Unity Technologies

Maybe that statement was a bit exaggerated. Let it suffice to say they didn't want to do what we wanted them to. With Havok Unity would probably cost around $50249 (I forget the exact details...), and be less future proof.

d.

8. Guest

Definitely good decision.

9. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Havok's licensing scheme is somewhat maligned by Mac users. The fees are, from what I've read elsewhere, very, very high, and it's done on a per title basis. Even the very best Mac gaming companies (Aspyr, MacSoft/Destineer, etc) can't afford to license the thing for even A-level titles. It's why Mac users will (probably) never see any Havok-powered games on our platform of choice (e.g., Half Life 2, Vampire Bloodlines, upcoming Age of Empires III and many others).

See discussions about Havok's licensing (and all it entails) with comments from some of the biggest names in the Mac game field (Glenda Adams, Brad Oliver, Peter Tamte etc) over at the InsideMacGames forums. It is not a technical issue however, it is only a monetary thing for the Mac game publishers.

That's why we have Unity ... to make our own games :wink:

10. taumel

taumel

Hi DaveyJJ,

>>>Havok's licensing scheme is somewhat maligned by Mac users. The fees are, from what I've read elsewhere...<<<

well at least there was MM old and buggy havok implementation also on the Mac available till MX04.

What kind of physic-engine is/was used by Mac-Game-developers beside of ODE then - not counting novodex in unity in?

>>>See discussions about Havok's licensing (and all it entails) with comments from some of the biggest names in the Mac game field (Glenda Adams, Brad Oliver, Peter Tamte etc) over at the...<<<

Could you give a more detailed link please?

>>>That's why we have Unity ... to make our own games :wink:[/quote]<<<

Which three tools would you take onto an island? ;O)

Greetings,

taumel

11. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I am using Newton http://www.physicsengine.com/ in another project.

A satellite phone, an airplane, and Unity Pro. ;)

-Jon

12. robertseadog

robertseadog

1. G5 Pb
    2. Unity Pro
    3.SkyCar

13. taumel

taumel

Hi David,

>>>So there... it's great to be able to provide such forward reaching technology right now. And: when the PPU boards come out, just wait and see action! <<<

http://www.the-inquirer.com/?article=25126

I see this happen soon on Pc but not on the Mac as the Macs aren't just expandable for such things. Only the powerMacs are and i don't know how big this market is... :O(

So again you will have the situation that you would have to build the scene on a Mac and then test it on the PC which isn't such a smooth step as you first always have to compile and so on...the whole smooth concept of unity is not working then...

Only alternative would be that you buy a powerMac (if the card will be available for those) but all the developers working with MacMinis, eMacs, iMacs, iBooks, powerBooks won't have anything of it.

So again a BIG plaedoyer for having unity as an IDE on Pc as soon as possible!!!

I like OSX but the hardware Apple sells (except the power Macs: crappy graphic cards, not expandable, slow,...) just sucks. You only will be happy with a powerMac and that's a lot of money...you could almost buy three unity pro licences for one...

Greetings,

taumel

14. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Just wait until this time next year when this whole arguement vanishes :) I'll have my dual-core Yonah-based Intel chipped PowerBook then and zoom!

15. taumel

taumel

Hi DaveyJJ,

yep i'm looking forward to the intel-Macs as well but still how do you plugin a PPU in your powerBook? You need an expandable system for such things. So solution would be a powerMac or that Apple builts the PPU in per default but do you honestly see this happen? They can't even use modern graphic chips...

Apple needs to introduce a Mac which is cheap, expandable and where you can choose what you want. I also think that Apple will have a much harder time next year when xbox360 and ps3 will arrive as a part of the audience of the MacMini will vanish...

Anyway best solution is Unity on PC. So please otee make this happen!

Greetings,

taumel

16. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

How is the Xbox 360 and PS3 going to take mac mini customers, there for entirly different things. Those consles are for playing games and watching movies. Sure they can play music and show fotos but no one buys them for that. Jeff

17. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Here's the search results turned up on insidemacgames.com, the best Mac gaming news site out there ... http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum...ch_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=havok

Specifically, here's a thread where Glenda Adams add in their $0.02 about Havok over at macologist ...

http://www.macologist.org/portal.php?topic_id=1224

Glenda Adams heads Aspyr, probably the biggest Mac gaming/porting company out there (Sims 2 and the like).

With regards to what engines they use ... Aspyr licensed Aegia as have others, and other make their own (witness mac software gaming company Destineer/Bold/MacSoft's First to Fight FPS released on PC/Mac/Xbox simultaneously).

To summarize the Mac-Havok thing ... it's all about money (and the more closed nature of the Havok folks).

18. taumel

taumel

19. taumel

taumel

The fire could look great when animated... :O)