Search Unity

Some material properties appear twice

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by iSpiegelball, Feb 6, 2020.

1. iSpiegelball

iSpiegelball

Hey guys!

Using a shadergraph material I noticed that some properties are exposed twice to the user - once via the properties of the master node and once via the material dialogue of the inspector. For example: Surface Type, Rendering Pass Double-Sided etc...

shadergraph.PNG material.PNG

Now I am wondering how those properties are associated with each other. Early tests show that Surface Type in the material inspector overrides the settings on the shader graph master not - but not vice versa. Can somebody help me understanding this?

2. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

you are guessing right. The one in the inspector is supposed to overrides the one in the shadergraph.
    The same way a public variable set in the inspector on a monobehaviour script overrides the initial value set in the declaration of the variable in the script

3. iSpiegelball

iSpiegelball

Thanks for clarification! I was confused because for example some properties (e.g. transparency writes motion vector) are only exposed if surface type is set to transparency in both places.