Search Unity

Some Light Probes dark

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Jesus, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Jesus

Jesus

As the title says, I'm having trouble with some light probes being very dark.

I've double-checked the position for the probes and they're not 'inside' the building or anything like that.

What really baffles me is that it'll get the probe right on one building and not another, and in the example on the right you can see a symmetrical roof area, and the probe on the left side is borked.

Likewise, the probes on either side of the fence aren't matching. Some are way darker than others for no good reason.

Any ideas/tips?

Using Unity 2018.3, HDRP.
    I have about 8 gameobject Light Probe Groups, all marked static too, one for surrounding each building, and a few more for environment/background. Maybe a couple hundred probes all up.

messed_up_probes.png

2. fguinier

fguinier

Unity Technologies

Hum that is weird, can you try pinpoint the problem by iteratively disabling probe group and geometry? (ie you set scale in lightmap to 0 to all static meshes, so you wont have lightmaps and iteration should be really fast as only probes will be left/baked).

Also what baking backend are you using?

3. Jesus

Jesus

I'll try the scales tomorrow, as well as the individual groups.

Realtime Global Illumination: yes
    Baked Global Illumination: Yes
    Lighting Mode: Shadowmask

Lightmapper: Prog. CPU
    Prioritize View: yes
    Dir Samples: 64
    Indirect Samples: 512
    Bounces: 4
    Filtering: Auto

Indirect Res: 4
    Lightmap Res: 12
    Lightmap Padding: 2
    Lightmap Size: 1024
    Compress: yes
    Ambient Occlusion: no
    Directional Mode: Directional
    Indirect Intensity: 1
    Albedo Boost: 1
    Lightmap Params: Default-LowRes

Here's a pic of the spider web. You can see the 'houses' that I'm talking about, the fence, and the giant temple. Also it turns out it's 11 Light Probe Groups total.
    b temple lightprobes.png

konsic likes this.
  4. Jesus

Jesus

about to go through and retry the individual probe groups, but when I opened the scene all probes were brown.

Then tried setting the lightmap scale to 0 for all structures (not the terrain, left that alone). Getting some weird results, if the terrain albedo (presumably the basemap colour) more should be green, not just some tiny area?

About to try turning off probe groups now :S

brown probes whyyyyyyyy 2.png brown probes whyyyyyyyy.png

5. Jesus

Jesus

@fguinier

OK, more experimenting on this.

Updated to Unity 2018.3.7f1

With just 1 light probe group, all seems fine.

With 2 light probe groups (named A and B), some probes are dark.

With groups A and C (different group) some probes are dark, but different probes compared to A+B.

This is repeatable; if I go back to A+B the original dark probes are dark again, and I can do A+C and get them to fail the same way as A+C originally did.

Tried combinations of A through J probe groups, different numbers on at a time, etc. often ended up with a could of oddly dark ones in strange areas.

6. thefranke

thefranke

Unity Technologies

Hey Jesus,

there is a bug with realtime probes overwriting baked ones if you mix realtime GI with the progressive Lightmapper. Can you try setting the baking backend to Enlighten and see if the probes stop being dark?

Cheers

Jesus likes this.
  7. Jesus

Jesus

Changed to Enlighten, that did the trick. All probes from all groups now lit correctly.

thefranke likes this.
  8. thefranke

thefranke

Unity Technologies

If you do not make use of realtime GI in your game, you can disable it and it should also work.

9. JackmanGomel

JackmanGomel

Hello, I`m using Unity 2019.3.2f. When I backed lights I got this. I`m using an emission material for it. With spot lights light probes baked normal

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  10. DavidSof

DavidSof

I'm using 2019.2.10f1 and have same problem with Progressive GPU or CPU ,its work fine only in Enlighten mode ,and i'm using an emission material too , playing around Lighting Mode or IG not make any changes

11. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Upgrade to 2019.4 LTS if possible, and make sure to enable Light Probe Sample Multiplier in the project settings.