Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Other Some insights on my 2D game project

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by disappearer, Apr 8, 2023.

1. disappearer

disappearer

Hello everyone, what do you think about my project?
    I'm not an art designer, I'm good at making scripts, I don't understand how bad my project looks
    Please write the parts you see as poor quality(except for the background image on the map).

armor handler inspector

(this name of the tool may not be very creative but something like this was really needed)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    mgear likes this.
  2. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

here's what think, the presentation is bland, dark, and ' generic ', there's nothing wrong with that, however you can't see the main character // understand what's going on, or the story . . .

1. try adding character sprites, or written dialogue
    2. having a story helps deliver the content // add-to-value
    3. if it's just a random dude, it looks more like random violence // gratutious stuff
    4. the SETTING is very, very important, is it some random, nowhere place, or an iconic location

here's an example of character sprites . . .

if there isn't 1. an iconic // relatable main - character, 2. a setting worth spending hours in, then there's just much less to play, or why bother . . .

try and give your main - character . . .

1. goals
    2. motives
    3. needs // resources
    4. things find important, friends, etc etc
    5. some ' stake ', or risk over being in the world

those things could help make the content better, my advice if have never tried writing before take it bit slowly, and also bit copy - paste things from other places you think are cool, not the entire stuff of a famous video - game, but a few tropes you like, ' the faceless ninja, from the faceless clan of super - blade ninjas has lost his dog ( J. Wick - series ), or has gotten sucked into this massive disaster, or conspiracy against his will . . . '

that's usually how most good stories start, and ordinary, or perhaps peaceful person getting sucked into various events, or weird stuff, disasters, against his will, or contrary to motives, it's bit of an ' art ' to write, maybe give it some thought, and write something you like, think makes sense, or perhaps is worth putting name // marketing to, etc etc . . . :) :cool:

3. disappearer

disappearer

thanks for your opinions, I actually mentioned it as a project, but it's worth mentioning that although I tried to make it a game at first, then somehow I entered the process of making this project an asset for the asset store but I took your writings into account in game development...
    By the way, I gave the inspectors in the scripts a tool look so that the project can be of game template type. Armor handler inspector and body parts rotation handler inspector are seen in the video...
    In this context, what might decrease the quality of this product that will appear in the asset store?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  4. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

oh, you want to make this more a template, or sort - of kit for other people, etc etc . . .

not sure, then you won't really have a story, or perhaps defined characters, then your only selling points are . . .

1. setting
    2. mechanics
    3. style // effects
    4. sound

or, those are the four things could then add value to the stuff, if that's the case it's already quite good, etc etc . . . . :) :cool:

5. disappearer

disappearer

Thanks for your good comment friend, of course it has its shortcomings, I can improve some details by updating it over time, I made a 2d retro ninja and controller scripts like this before and it was sold from time to time. Actually making it a game is not a bad idea at all it just might take a while, i'm planning to do this later

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  6. kdgalla

kdgalla

I think the biggest problem is a lack of readability and clarity. There is not enough visual separation between the foreground, background, and the objects in play. the values and contrast are too similar to each other.

I don't see this on the asset store. Are you selling this as a game template or an art pack? If you're just trying to sell the code then you can eliminate art from the equation by either using simpler, more demonstrative art, or CC0 assets.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023