Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Some information please

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Richard21, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Richard21

Richard21

Hello, I have just come across this game engine, and i'd like to know some information.

I'd like to build a small walk around, with a First person view. Some trees, palm trees. And water. Where can i find tutorials on how to create these things, the trees aren't important. Just the viewing and walking around, as well the water?

Thanks.

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

There is a basic outline of First Person Walkthrough in documentation already.

Basically, you create your graphics in a 3D application. For testing, you can just drag in Ground mesh from standard assets - this won't even require any 3D application.

Then you drag in First Person Controller from standard assets. For a real game you could tune it to death, but for start it just works, giving you basic mouse looking, movement, jumping and collision with the world.

The water is done equally easy - drag in one of the Water prefabs (the ones in Unity Pro look much better, because they have realtime reflections/refractions).

3. Richard21

Richard21

This isn't very clear, the tutorial doesn't come with any screenshots. I've never used this game engine before.

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The tutorials are really recommended things to read. FPS tutorial (part 1, up to section 5) on that page explains these things - how to start project, import your artwork, add a first person character. Then it goes into more subjects like weapons etc.

But that was a good point - we'll add more images to the documentation.

5. Richard21

Richard21

I have downloaded those adobe documents as well, the tutorials you linked in your post. Erm, can you design a level in Unity?

6. freyr

freyr

Well yes... the levels are called scenes in Unity.
    Just save your 3D assets and images and add them to your scene using drag and drop from the project view.

Take a look at the Getting Started Guide for an overview of how to work with the Unity basics.

7. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Unity is not a 3D modelling application. You can use it to layout your existing 3D models for a game level of course - just drag them onto the scene view and move/rotate/scale as you see fit. Some people are using Unity itself as "level editor", others do it almost completely in 3D application. Each approach has it's pros and cons.

8. Richard21

Richard21

Right ok, thanks. So images like water, sky box they go in a folder...or like you saud "drag and drop"?

9. Richard21

Richard21

Another thing is, how do you get unity to run? You must burn it to a CD? Another thing is, where do i get the image of the water?

Oh right, the trial includes basic water...

10. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Download the trial here:
    http://unity3d.com/try.html

It is an installer which will install all that is necessary to run Unity.
    After installation is complete just double click on Unity in /Applications/Unity.

If you want to get really good lucking water, you might want to request a trial for the Pro version by contacting david@otee.dk.

11. Richard21

Richard21

I have downloaded, so all i just do is click on it? I am on a windows XP pc

12. Richard21

Richard21

I have to download a dsig thing whatever, then convert it to ISo for burning on to a CD. Is the pro version free? Take it as a no?

13. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

You need mac os x to run Unity at the moment.

14. Bampf

Bampf

To be absolutely clear: Unity creates both Mac and Windows games, but the Unity development tool itself requires Mac OS X.