Search Unity

Some images get pixellated

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ciaodejan, Feb 13, 2021.

1. ciaodejan

ciaodejan

I have a set of images of character avatars that I'm using for a 2D game. I cannot share them as I have signed an NDA to not distribute them with others. They are 639x639 PNG images and were made with a graphic tablet. They don't look pixellated at all but when I put them in the scene or play the game, they get pixellated for some reason. I've tried to reduce the resolution and played with the options in the Inspector for those sprites but I still can't get a crisp image. Other images work fine, and they've been made with the same technique.
    I am using a circular mask of the same size as the avatars to make them circular but even if I disable the mask, the avatars are still displayed in low quality.

2. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

Are you by chance making using pixel art? It would be super helpful to be able to see your import settings (without the image of your characters don't worry). ;)

Just a wild guess, the blurring could be fixed by changing the Filter Mode or the Pixels Per Unit settings in your Texture Importer Inspector.

Texture Importer.png

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  3. ciaodejan

ciaodejan

This thread helped me a lot. Especially this part:
    Make sure this isn't a IRL-Physics/Reality problem. Can you shrink them using any other program or method without losing detail? Sometimes you simply can't shrink details without losing them. One can only display so many pixels in a low resolution & details are only automatically preserved so far. (ex. There is no way to shrink a 4K resolution photograph into a 160x100 pixel area without it being utterly decimated.)​

Xiangting_Su likes this.
  4. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

That's a super helpful link! :)