Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Some help with text please

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Proksenos, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Proksenos

Proksenos

Hey, total newbie and I could use some help.

I'd like to know how can I add text to a permanent UI element, triggered by various in game events. Not replace the text, just add more lines to it.

I'm trying to simulate a text msg conversation, the player will receive more msges as the story goes on but I don't know how to go about it. I've learned how to create a text ui, place it, make it scrollable etc, but I don't know how to add more text to it, while also preserving what's already written.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You'd use the + operator, something like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. label.text = label.text + newText;

Proksenos likes this.