Search Unity

Some FPS Screens

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by nickavv, Aug 17, 2006.

1. nickavv

nickavv

I'm making a simple FPS called Crossfire. Here are some cool screens from the test level!

-Here's the main part of the level. The player's got an M16. Cubes be warned!

-Underwater. I had a lot of help from you forum members over the past few hours to make this awesomeness a reality. n_n

Cool, huh?

2. Morgan

Morgan

Looks like a great start. Starting with a test level helped me a lot, I know.

3. nickavv

nickavv

It's fun playing around with test levels before you actually start the game. Just include one all-encompassing test level and you won't have to do nearly as much work later on.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yeah, it's great when you get something working, isn't it? Of course, then you have to make yourself stop playing around with the test levels and go on to the next stage, which is sometimes easier said than done. ;)

--Eric

5. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Looks like a nice start, got anything moving we can see? :)

~t

6. nickavv

nickavv

7. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Have a web player build? PC at the office here

8. drJones

drJones

good start - some notes:

-the normals on your gun barrel look flipped
    -your bullets are instantiating sideways, one of your bullet axes needs to be rotated 90 degrees

i'm curious where did you get the gun sound? i'm doing an FPS as well, and if its one thing that seems the hardest to find its free gun sounds (makes sense i guess - i presume most people don't have a minigun stashed in their closet to capture sound bites from ; )

9. nickavv

nickavv

Sorry bout that lildragon. I figured everyone on the forums would be on a Mac. :p

Doc:

-That seems to be a recurring problem with my using .blend files. I don't know why. And I noticed the bullets too. I just never got around to fixing it. >_> To get the gun SFX I just took my minigun outta my closet and... uhh. I mean I just searched google for gun sound effects. ;) Same with the water. Of course they weren't perfec. The gun repeated and the spash had a little excess at the end that I didn't want, so I used Audacity to clip them.

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Even then, publishing for the web will be smaller, because all the engine code is offloaded to the web player (which you only download once), but it's included with every stand-alone.

--Eric

11. harrio

harrio

can't get the 'app' to run on my sys;

macbook pro
    2.16 ghz
    2 g ram
    unity 1.5

12. nickavv

nickavv

That's wierd. I compiled to a universal binary. :?

13. harrio

harrio

the icon for the app has a 'do-not' symbol crossed over it...if that is any clue?

14. nickavv

nickavv

Not really. Mine doesn't have one. Are the permissions on it set correctly?

EDIT: And after wrestling with blender for an hour or two I present your main opponent in the game!

An Alien. As of now untextured and un-Armatured. And the most complicated model I ever made. n.n;

EDIT2: Another little while and viola!

Now fully textured alien guy. Now for the armature...

15. Morgan

Morgan

Looks like it could work well with some kind of armor/suit texture.

16. nickavv

nickavv

Yeah, probably. My idea was to give it a glowing light blue and maybe slightly translucent shader.

17. harrio

harrio

the permissions are fine but the app is showing as 'classic' in the get info window, not powerpc or universal.

18. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

You might want to zip the player application before uploading, even better, just publish a web player.

19. nickavv

nickavv

I'll just do a web player next time around. ;)

20. drJones

drJones

i always keep "draw normals" on while working (in edit mode - mesh tools 1). it can make your denser meshes look like a chia pet but there's just too many odd commands that randomly bork your face directions. if you don't use that method you could at least make it a practice to select all faces hit "ctrl-N" every now then (be careful with non-contiguous meshes though) which will recalculate all normals to the outside.