Search Unity

Feedback Some feedback on Package Manager git support

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by TheValar, Sep 11, 2019.

1. TheValar

TheValar

Spent some time this week experimenting with making my own packages as git repos hosted on gitlab. Overall it is promising but there were a few pain areas that I just wanted to report my feedback on.

Project Structure:
    currently your package folder has to be the root of your repository which makes it kind of awkward to develop. Ideally you will be developing your package inside of a Unity project so assuming you want that project to be in git as well the only solution is workarounds involving sub modules or sub trees. It works fine but I feel like there could be a more convenient solution

Versioning Support:
    currently there is no official support for package versions or updating your packages. This is a pretty important feature. You can work around it by manually editing the json but I think this needs to be supported in the package manager ui

Dependencies:
    this is by far the most glaring deficiency. there really needs to be a way to make git hosted packages dependent upon other git hosted packages.

I really like the idea of the package system and think this could be the future of unity assets, particularly open source ones distributed outside of the asset store so I hope you continue to work on custom package support.

Lobolopez and starikcetin like this.
  2. Lobolopez

Lobolopez

Totally agree on those points (particularly hooking a package to a Git subdir would be excellent for a lot of reasons)
    Recursive as it might sound.. maybe if those things get to a testable stage it would be possible to release a packaged version with updates to the package manager without having to jump Unity versions....?

3. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @TheValar,

Thank you for the great feedback! We take this all onboard and are currently working on the issues you raised. Can't go into much more detail than that for now, sorry!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019 at 8:05 PM