Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Feature Requests

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Ferazel, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Ferazel

Ferazel

I've been following the addressable system for quite awhile now, but I just had a chance to start digging into them a little bit recently, so apologies for some first impressions/wishlist items.

1) Is there a way that the HTTP editor hosting config could have a speed limiter on it to better simulate slow internet/server load? I'm thinking a delay for response time on the server and a download speed limiter would be a great way to test a bunch of asynchronous conditionals in the editor and device.

2) The system UI seems to be great for a couple dozen assets. However, I personally have worked on games with hundreds (sometimes thousands) of assets that need to be managed through a resourcing system. Are there any plans to add a concept of an addressable proxy group that will allow us to move/manage all of the assets as a single conceptual item in the addressable window? This would really help for things like and RPG with hundreds of weapons that need to be managed and maintained similarly.

3) This is probably outside the scope of the addressable system currently, but looking long-term I'd love to have a concept of asset variants per addressable. There is a concept of this in the terms of using multiple labels per addressable but it's not really fulfilling the same need. What I'm thinking is that you would be able to have a low/med/high quality setting for mesh detail, texture quality, localization, or shader quality and and somehow the addressable reference would figure out which set of assets it is supposed to load based on a config that would allow you to set an asset for each quality level distinction or for multiples.

Anyways, thanks for your work on the addressable system so far and I'm looking forward to its non-preview release in the future.

2. Ferazel

Ferazel

In regards to #1, I was didn't realize that dragging a folder would work, so a proxy isn't needed if the folders work.

3. unity_bill

unity_bill

(I assume you mean "in regards to #2" since that's what talks about the proxy...)

1. yes, though today that would be through a custom hosting service. The system is set up to easily support adding your own hosting services. Eventually, we'd like to add these sorts of delays ourselves.
    2. As you stated, folders work, though we know that's even limited. We have a handful of things we're planning for the UI to help make large projects more manageable.
    3. This is very in-the-scope. I hope in the coming months to have a good example of how to do what you're saying with textures. Then it should be relatively easy for someone to extend the example if their project needed something else (meshes, etc.)

-Bill