Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Some endless racing game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Kamil1064, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Kamil1064

Kamil1064

Hi,
    I would like to share here some progress of game I'm working on. It's kind "endless run", goals are mobile devices. Here is something which working ;) Video catched on adnroid:

I would like to ask you, as players, to make that game "I wanna play it all the time". So please look on that questions:
    1. What accually is in that kind of games, so you spend so much time?
    2. What is annoying in that kind of games?
    3. What are you willing to pay for (new vehicles, tuning, )?
    4. If you have got any ideas please share them here.
    And about making game, would you like to see here:
    5. How long it took to reach that moment?
    6. Some goals (reached, changed, crushed)?
    7. Some helpfull scripts?
    8. Or something other?
    Cheers,
    Kamil

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

You definately need some obstacles and curves.

3. PhilippG

PhilippG

And friction. It looks like you're driving on ice

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

For arcade type of game play, that may be fine.
    Depending how it feels during driving by player.
    But that could be something to drift, if there were curves actually.

5. Kamil1064

Kamil1064

#Antypodish, #PhilippG, thanks for reply.
    Sterring is at the moment only to test world, cars, and some other behave, it's just "transform.rotation.y now :)"
    i will post some video later, now I have got some issues with scripting, I'm adding new dependences now. I have got some progress ;)

6. Kamil1064

Kamil1064

Hi,
    It took some time but finally I have got something worth to show :)

So what I made is:
    1. Fully controlled world spawner - I may choose chance of spawning side roads. For other worlds just change "tiles" and have a new world.
    2. Fully controlled car spawner - on video 1-2 cars per spawn cycle. on 5-7 it's almost traffic :) Still FPS stable on build.
    3. On first release I plan to give one map - with many options and 8 vehicles to control, tuning, etc.
    4. Cars are mostly from asset store, however I optimilized them in blender, reduced vertices by 30-80%.
    5. Goal is to run this game smooth on mid - high details on my 5 years old flagships killer, Also will be ultra for today's top :)
    6. Scene is ready so little comparsion from frame debugger with buildings optimalization frame debug_001.jpg frame debug_002.jpg :
    7. So can you give me some advice how to fill this gap at the end of the map? Camera's far clip plane is set up to 200, you may see "hole" beetween the city and skybox.

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

Use LOD, or something like Impostor, with rendering to texture.
    Second option is rather overkill.

8. Kamil1064

Kamil1064

Wow, didn't knew about imposter method, may be usefull in the future projects, thanks.
    I will try first to add an texture (screenshot from part of city) far away, this hole looks like may be filled with 128x128 texture, being far away even less.

9. Kamil1064

Kamil1064

Hi everyone,
    I'm working now on garage, here is video which showing what is done, details are in description.
    Please tell me what do you think about that, what may be changed or added

Cheers

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

Too much flashy distracting animations.

Kamil1064 likes this.
  11. Kamil1064

Kamil1064

Thanks

12. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I've watched your video, and to be honest, it looks like you are having a little bit of trouble controlling your car. You don't seem to be able to thread the needle between two cars in one place where it looked like you intended to, your constantly making small corrections, and your turning radius seems to be huge. You don't show any sharp turns, which I'm going to assume is because tight turns feel hard to get right? I find racing games to be difficult to control with the exception of Mario Kart and that's mostly just because the karts themselves are pretty slow.

I think you could experiment with some alternative control schemes, especially if you plan for this to be a mobile game where fine controls are essentially non-existent. There are two main vehicle schemes in video games: The kind you are using where the players inputs directly control the car, which is probably what high level racing game guys want. I find that this control scheme has a very high skill ceiling, but also a very steep learning curve. I've played every Mario Kart since 64, and completed them all on the highest speed, but each time a new one comes out, I gotta relearn how to control the karts.

The other common control style was meant for non racers to be able to use vehicles more easily. The player controls the camera, and the vehicles automatically turns to match it, similar to just controlling a 3rd person player. I find this much easier to control.

My favorite "race" in any video game is

Yeah, really.

When I saw someone mention it looked like your car was sliding on ice, I completely disagreed, I thought of the Warthog, which is fine to me, I like being able to slide around when driving.

Kamil1064 likes this.
  13. Kamil1064

Kamil1064

Thanks @newjerseyrunner
    That may be it - to move right / left an object, so simple :)

14. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

Overall graphic and UI can be improved a lot into more solid.
    But I know that this is still on W.I.P. so I won't judge much on that first.

To get games run smoothly in mobile, you need to do texture atlasing.
    The lesser materials drawing at the same time, the better.

For my opinion, endless games are quite boring.
    Add purposes to the game would be a lot better.
    Something to achieve as targets, playing with friends, easter eggs etc...

Keep it up.;)

Kamil1064 likes this.