Search Unity

Some, but not all, bones importing incorrectly from Blender

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Acissathar, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Acissathar

Acissathar

Hi all,

My character has a piece of hair we have rigged. When importing this character into Unity, all of the bones are importing correctly (normal humanoid bones + extra bones for her skirt and other hair pieces), except for those in this hair piece. For some reason they are warping, and I haven't been able to figure out what.

I have debugged it to be these bones specifically, as deleting them to make the hair piece static imports as expected.

Here is how it looks in Blender side by side with what is importing:

Applying animation and/or physics through something like Dynamic Bone doesn't change it either, and from what I can see it has the same settings as all of the other bones.

balakin734 likes this.
  2. Jaimi

Jaimi

We have had trouble with blender when the base pose is not normalized. The simplest thing to do is make sure your rig bones are normalized by going to your a-pose frame in pose mode, selecting all your bones, and choosing "Pose/Apply/Apply pose as rest pose."
    This assumes you have an initial a-pose (or t-pose) for your rig, but of course you do! :)

Acissathar likes this.
  3. Acissathar

Acissathar

I will give that a try tonight, thank you!

4. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

Assuming you have alt+r and alt+g'd everything in pose mode before saving the file, you may also want to check if your bone has the "Deform" option on. It needs to be on in order for the FBX conversion to recognize that a bone is present. Also make sure your animation import includes a mask for all bones--by default Humanoid animations do NOT include "extra bones", which exist between or outside bones recognized as a part of the humanoid structure. You can find out what bones are being used for animation by going into the Mask settings per animation clip. I'm not sure if any of that would affect your issue or if you already know that but it's nice to double check anyways.

Acissathar likes this.
  5. Acissathar

Acissathar

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to share should someone else run into this issue. We just deleted the bones and re-rigged them and everything is working as expected now.

However, @SomeGuy22 your tip of alt+r and alt+g did fix the issue I had on another character. From what I can gather her t-pose was just slightly off (I couldn't notice it anyways) and that seemed to completely mess with the bones in her cape when converting to a humanoid avatar in Unity.

I appreciate the tips from you two!