Search Unity

some bugs and issues

Discussion in 'World Building' started by david_kay, Mar 13, 2019.

1. david_kay

david_kay

Unity 2018.3.7, probuilder 4.0.3

sometimes when merging objects this happens:
    upload_2019-3-13_23-22-41.png
    merged objects were failry simple but had multiple materials assigned. Don't know if that's the reason. I actually managed to fix this by merging with another random object so this isn't a very urgent problem. But it did scare the crap out of me when I saw my scene looking like this.

Merging objects has another downside - it removes the mesh collider from the merged object and ticks off the static flag and I have to reassign them every time.

One of the more troubling issues is that objects accumulate materials without replacing them. For example: I create a PB cube and it has a default material. I use the material editor window and change it to material B. now the cube has both materials, the default and B in the same time, even though all faces only feature material B. now when I try to apply a different material again it will replace a random material from the ones it already has...

when detaching faces from an object with multiple materials the detached mesh will inherit all the materials from that object, even if it's just a single face with only one visible material. other materials are still listed in the inspector

sometimes while selecting the mesh with object mode and applying the new material it will be applied only to a single face and not to the whole object.

often when I try to apply new material to a selection of faces by drag and droping the material from the project window, the selected faces or the whole object will vanish.

I also can't figure out how the texture tiling works when deforming a mesh - sometimes when I drag the edge or verts of the face the texture will repeat itself and other times it will stretch. Is there any way to control this?

In the latest version of PB there is no access to vertex color painter

select by material option doesn't work properly - often selects wrong materials instead of matching only the ones selected.

is it possible to snap the verts if they belong to the same object? It seems like it's not possibe but I don't know if it's actually a bug or not.

Attached Files:

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi!

Merging creates messy mesh: are you able to share the meshes you are merging? I can't repro this here.

Merging loses static and collider: ah shoot - I see that now- and worse - super sorry, have created a bug report and hopefully we'll have a patch ASAP.

Materials accumulating: fixed internally and patch is about to arrive!

Applying materials goes to face in object mode: fixed, OTW!

Texture tiling: various fixes applied (about 20 affecting UVs), should address this

Select by material: Ah, you caught another! Looks like there's an issue when selecting across multiple objects. Will have a fix out for that too.

Snap: I assume you mean "hold V" snap, not ProGrids? Currently, that won't work on the same object if you drag from the center (all axis), however you can use single-axis snapping on elements (which is super handy), and that will work.

Thanks for all the detail!

3. david_kay

david_kay

Thanks for the reply! Glad I'm able to help. I think I fixed all the meshes that got messed up, but I will try to replicate one. So far this didn't happen since.

4. alexandyr

alexandyr

Any update on this fix? ProBuilder still selects random faces throughout the scene on PB 4.1.0 on Unity 2019 when attempting to select by material on multiple objects. It is seriously cramping our art team's style to have to update materials one object at a time.

5. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! Sorry, it's still on the list. We're a fairly small team and lots going on here. I'll give it a bump on our next bug sprint, feeling the pain in my own projects, too.

alexandyr likes this.