Search Unity

Question Some bones (just some of them) of 2D Skeletal character are not shown in the scene

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Fry_hunter, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Fry_hunter

Fry_hunter

Hi,

I have a little project where I drawn a 2D sprite in Krita, imported into Unity as a PSB file, and created some bones. This is how it looks:
    upload_2022-9-3_16-47-0.png

But when I drag and drop the character into the scene a couple of bones of the character are not shown.
    Instead, I get some kind of circle gizmos. But I cannot visualize the position or rotation of the bone.

upload_2022-9-3_16-50-17.png

In the image, I show the example of bone_31. bone_32 however is shown properly (which is a child of bone_31)

Not sure if it might be related, but the bones affected do not have any vertex assigned. They are just to simulate the articulations (even if they are not visible). However, the same thing happens for the legs, and those are shown properly. So...

Any help is appreciated. I am doing this to learn about art/design workflow, so maybe the solution is very obvious and I missed it. Sorry in advance if that's the case.

PS: I know I should name the bones, but this is just a testing project for myself and I am too lazy for that :p

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  2. Unrighteouss

Unrighteouss

This is why. A bone needs to be assigned vertex weight for it to be visible, and the sprite it's weighted to needs to be active.

Fry_hunter likes this.
  3. Fry_hunter

Fry_hunter

Thanks for the answer. I tried to assign a very low vertex weight and it worked.

Is there a better way to workaround this though? Because I just want those bones for simulating the invisible articulations and have a more intuitive humanoid behaviour. I don't want them to affect any vertex at all.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  4. Unrighteouss

Unrighteouss

I think what I said before is actually wrong. From my testing just now, it seems like you don't actually need any weights for the bone to be visible, you just need a sprite assigned to the bone in the "Bone Influence" section of the sprite editor.

Just assign any sprite to those bones with 0 weight, and you should be able to see them.

Ivan_Draga likes this.