Search Unity

Some advices for beginner self-taught Game Designer?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by khiemngs, Jul 13, 2016.

1. khiemngs

khiemngs

Hi guys.

I'm a IT student, but in my country, they teach us a lot of things at very low level. So now, i can code (not good) in C#, C++, Java,.. Can make simple web with PHP, .NET, Java,... and (n) others "i don't care" things.

I love play game, and make game too. I started learn about game design couple of month ago. But i confused, what things i have to learn? what is the start point? what books should i read?

I want to teaching myseft (no game design education in my country, so sad :( ). Can you guys give me some advices?
    Btw, i want to make friends with you. Feel free to mail to me: khiemngs@gmail.com

Thank you. (and sorry for bad english). :D

2. shaderop

shaderop

I heard the following advice on some podcast that I can't remember right now, but I do remember that it was from a successful game designer. It went something like this:

If you want to become a game designer, focus on programming either UI or AI. You'll level up to designer as you gain experience.​

Don't know how true that is, but it seems to make a lot of sense.

3. AndreasU

AndreasU

Do you mean making games or specifically designing it?

Game design usually refers to coming up with the rules and interactions, numeric values etc.

If you mean making games in general, you should do the Unity tutorials: http://unity3d.com/learn

Soren Johnson (Civ 4, Offworld Trading Company) said something like this. Both subjects are closely related to the game's design.

4. khiemngs

khiemngs

Thank you guys. I don't like coding. I like work with level editor or excel with a lot number must be balanced, etc...

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

That's fine. You don't have to code, but you must understand how coding works so you can work effectively with programmers. However, you must be able to contribute to the production of a game in one of these categories:
    • Programming
    • Visual Art
    • Level Design
    Audio, writing, and game design are very important, but no one will accept you on a development team if you can't also contribute to one of the categories above.

6. khiemngs

khiemngs

I know how coding work and have experience with unity and some other framework as programer. I'm learning about Level Design too, but it's hard to practice now. About art, i can't draw something good, can skecth things and learn about art style.

Thank for your advice.

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

Best of luck to you! It sounds like you're off to a good start. It's important for any game designer to know how coding works and to be able to sketch so you can convey ideas visually. Level Design is just as important, and it's a good way to specialize in game design. Sometimes people forget that it's a different discipline from creating art assets. Good level design requires understanding how to present information to the player and how to allow the player to navigate the level in a fun way. If it's hard for you to practice, volunteer your time on the Collaboration forum. Or practice level design by modding an existing game. For example, here's a nice video of a friend's application to Ubisoft as a level designer. Although they weren't hiring level designers at the time, the video does a good job of explaining his process:

8. khiemngs

khiemngs

Your words are very helpfull for me. It's make feel more excited. Big thanks to all you guys. :D

9. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Art of Game Design, by Jesse Schell. Then, if you've some spare time, check out my podcast (see signature). I recorded them for you. Good luck.

Gigi