Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLVED: Why is my float zero?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by abojiuc, Sep 16, 2018 at 7:01 PM.

1. abojiuc

abojiuc

Whenever a object is identified it will return it's name and the match value. If the match value is too low "none" will be returned, however I don't understand why my code is returning a name if the match value returned is 0.

String object_ID = "none";
    float match_value = 0f, longest_len = 20f, match_win_am = 0f;

//for each object in memory
    for (int i = 0; i < object_names.Length; i++)
    {
    match_value = object_MatchAmount(i) / longest_len;

if ((match_value > 0.5f) && (match_value > match_win_am))
    {
    match_win_am = match_value;
    object_ID = object_names;

//ID found due to high score, exit for loop
    if (match_value > 0.8f)
    {
    i = object_names.Length;
    }
    }
    }

//output text
    status_text.GetComponent<Text>().text = "ID : " + object_ID + "\nMatch % = " + match_value*100.0f + "%";

There's no way to change the object_ID string unless match_value > 0.5, so how is it possible that I get an object_ID name and a match value of 0?

SOLVED : the problem was finding a match value below 0.8 but higher than 0.5 and not exiting the loop right away.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 7:52 PM