Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED]Whats a good server for multiplayer FPS?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by ColossalDuck, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Hey, eventually I want to make a multiplayer FPS game.
    I am wondering about servers.

I am pretty sure I will need dedicated servers(am I correct?). Well, what is a good place to get them? I would only need 16 players per game. Also, could one server host many games or just one per server?
    If a server could host many games, would it be better for cost or worse? And would the performance lower?

ps. Cost doesn't matter, this is theoretical right now.
    -Me

2. Der Dude

Der Dude

Hi and welcome to the forums,

you won't need dedicated servers - but you'll want them. Dedicated servers guarantee a certain bandwidth processing power. Relying on users to host their own servers does not.

There is 3 ways I can think of to go about this.

1. Run servers from your flat/apartment.
    This is probably the easiest and best choice at the beginning of the project, when you only need 1/2 test-servers online. It's easy because you can make all adjustments on them directly.

If your player base grows you'll probably run out of bandwidth fast. Also your daily pr0n downloads won't help the latency of your servers... ;)

2. Rent a dedicated server

This reserves one machine in a server farm just for you.

Hoster (found with google):
    www.server4you.com

3. Rent a virtual server

This is a virtual machine on a server in a server farm.

http://www.webfusion.co.uk/

Virtual Server vs. Dedicated Server

Dedicated servers are more expensive. At webfusion a dedicated server is twice as expensive as a virtual server. However, they usually have more power.

More than 1 instance per server

You can run more than one dedicated instance of a game on one server. If this is wise or not depends on how demanding your game is. And how much money you want to spend on the server (more money = higher performance).
    If you do all calculations on the server and verify everything the players do, you won't be able to host as many server-instances than when you use a trustful (more cheat/error-prone) trustful server.
    Also the required bandwidth will be a factor. More servers = more bandwidth.

This is just a matter of trial error I guess.

Summary
    During internal beta-phases host the servers yourself from your flat.
    Once you go public, start with a virtual server and see how many instances you can run on that.
    If you find it isn't enough power for your money, switch to a dedicated server.

I would assume the transition virtual server => dedicated server will be no problem, as you're offering to pay them more money. The other direction might be more problematic ;)

3. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Thank you very much, this answers all my question very well. :D

4. Kieranc12

Kieranc12

but how would you run a server from home cus i av de same problem and im 14 so i cant pay for anythin :(

5. marf

marf

You shuold open your ports and have a static ip address...

6. gabe3456

gabe3456

wow 2011
    dahm bro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.