Search Unity

[Solved] What math should I learn in spare time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTHell, Aug 8, 2016.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

We are getting slightly off topic, but yeah, this.

But I'd argue it's more "attitude" than "ability". When I ask someone "Can you do this?", if the answer is "No... But give me a few hours(/days/whatever)" it's usually a sign that it's someone I can work with.

Ryiah, zombiegorilla and Billy4184 like this.
  2. Billy4184

Billy4184

@AcidArrow that's it, companies and managers want problem solvers, not people who can do some mathematical sleight of hand that they learned out of a book.

For example, here's a quote from one of the SpaceX engineers on Reddit answering questions about getting a software job there:

"All of us came from a pretty diverse set of backgrounds, there’s no one particular path we all followed to get here. Speaking for me personally the best experience I got in school was working on my own personal programming projects on the side. There’s a lot of opportunity these days on the web and the app stores to complete a product and get your work out there to be seen."​

I'm answering @GTHell's questions in the context of the bunch of threads he's started about getting started in game dev as a career. I think the mindset of studying mathematics as an isolated skill is the wrong one. A full project answers so many questions that your employer might have all at once, before you've even opened your mouth.

QFSW, Ryiah and AcidArrow like this.
  3. GTHell

GTHell

The other reason I want to learn math is because I also interested in quantum theory.
    That's how I become the smart man in my friend's eyes.

Anyway, during this post, I already get the book 7 habits of highly effective people and two other books to read in spare time. Maybe this self taught math thing will be abandon but not completely from my todo list.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

In that case you need all the math. And you probably need to invent some more of your own.

Don't expect to grasp the math behind quantum without heavy formal training in mathematics.

QFSW likes this.
  5. Billy4184

Billy4184

Are we still talking about game development? :rolleyes:

6. QFSW

QFSW

Maybe his game is gonna have physically accurate quantum phenomena as abilities

7. Billy4184

Billy4184

Unity can't handle quantum phenomena, you'll have to use Unreal for that ...

QFSW likes this.
  8. QFSW

QFSW

It's also only supported on QPUs so make sure you have one of those handy

Billy4184 likes this.
  9. Billy4184

Billy4184

If you want to go down a black hole though, use CryEngine ...

landon912 likes this.
  10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Either engine could handle quantum or relativistic physics. It's more a case of making an engaging game of it.

It might be closer then you think, Kerball built an engaging game around orbital mechanics, which was previously an area restricted to astro physicists.

11. QFSW

QFSW

Can someone make a game based around quantum superposition so that you are in multiple places at once?

12. Billy4184

Billy4184

I've 'studied' some orbital mechanics, Kepler's laws and so on. I was going to make a game of using gravity assist to get from one planet to another, but I ditched it early because the scales involved were hard to deal with in a game setting ... it seems a long way from quantum physics, though I can't really be sure since I've never studied quantum physics.

But to the OP: What do you want from math, and from this thread? It's hard to answer any questions in a useful way unless you give us some context. At the moment I'm not sure if you want to be a game dev or a quantum physicist, or you're just daydreaming online ..

QFSW and Kiwasi like this.
  13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Check his post history. It's definitely this one.

;)

Billy4184 and QFSW like this.
  14. GTHell

GTHell

Sometime I look at night sky and ask myself why human stupidity is limitless.

Sometime this question convince me to pick up a new skills.

Sometime I learn and realize that the more I learn the more I know I don't know.

Sometime I wonder why dog is man's best friend.

Sometime I ask people why they think everyone has the same paradigm.

Oh, @Billy4184 Almost forget to answer your question. What do I want from math? New skills? I have teach myself a lot of skills whether it's useful to me or not. The thing I want from this thread is not actually answer to which math should I should learn. It's more about the opinion from individual person.

On the other hand. Making assumption base on your though alone will only guide you into the dark world. Well, what is dark world? you asked. My answer is try to make assumption and guess the answer or post a question to get more info from it before making any assumption.

Sorry, Language is not my first language.

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Sometimes I wonder if these people will just start making games rather than threads.

Deon-Cadme, Kiwasi and Billy4184 like this.
  16. Billy4184

Billy4184

If that had been your first post, the replies you got might have been slightly more relevant to your situation ...

17. neginfinity

neginfinity

Maybe because human stupidity is limitless, dogs are man's best friend. I mean, for a dog, living with a creature that gives it shelter and free food and stares at the sky (while contemplating meaning of life and paradigms) during its spare time seems like a good deal for the dog.

Not really. If you teach yourself a skill that you never use, you'll just forget the skill and may end up wasting time you spent learning that skill.

Ryiah likes this.
  18. GTHell

GTHell

I've already put my post to solved since yesterday. I have talk about this before. The assumption making by these people is ridiculous. Sometime I question myself why they like making impression base on nothing but their own though.

Funny thing is people got nothing to do but to tell other to be proactive.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you don't like our advice then why are you asking for it? Go build a game already.

20. GTHell

GTHell

Your advice is ok but your attitude isn't.

Too good to be true:

It's just bugging me sometime.

What if I say this to you?

Anyway, just end this thread. I don't want to be mean but your attitude already show your altitude.

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'd have far less of an attitude if you actually listened to the advice you've been asking for. Yet all I'm seeing is someone who shows up, asks a question, gets some advice, and then proceeds to make posts as if the advice is somehow incorrect and you "knew" the answer all along.

I've given links to stuff I've worked on in the past and I've assisted people on these forums. I don't need to prove myself.

22. goat

goat

Actually I still have my old math & stats books from college I should look though. Don't know why I saved those and not any of the other books.

23. GTHell

GTHell

I didn't ask for advice on how to become a president on this thread. I rather ask for opinion. I stated that you just don't see it then making a funny comment. I respect you for helping out people on these forums but the way you view other isn't right.

Base on this you telling me to prove myself? What a joke. I don't need to build a full game to prove myself. Remember there is people who is better than you and me. Just lower down your ego, please.

24. GTHell

GTHell

I lost my math book and only chemistry book remain. When summer break I'm planing on taking a part time class in math.

25. goat

goat

I only had Chemistry I and Chemistry II with the same book however I didn't keep those either. I remember only that we did titration experiences using SW not real titration.

I think interesting games could be created from some chemistry theories reworked to be a bit more interesting for games.

26. GTHell

GTHell

Chemistry theories is hard to implement. It's also a problem because I learn Math, Chemistry and other subject in my language. Sometime it's hard to do a research.

27. Ryiah

Ryiah

Non-disclosure agreements are a fact of life in this industry.

Deon-Cadme likes this.