Search Unity

[SOLVED] What is the best way to setup VR for Unity project these days ?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by u_rs, Apr 18, 2017.

?

Do you have problems with Google VR API ?

1. Yes

83.3%
  2. No

16.7%
  1. u_rs

u_rs

What is most reliable, easiest way to create VR project (for Android) ? I tried Google VR API, but it gives some errors during import and doesn't work properly (project can't be launched). It tells mostly: namespace ... couldn't be found, are you missing assembly reference ?

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

You mean importing the Google VR SDK for Unity package? Can you provide the exact issue you are having from the log and what version of Unity you are using?

3. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Also, was this a new project or are you trying to target an existing project?

4. u_rs

u_rs

I tried to add GoogleVRForUnity.unitypackage to new project, also I tried to launch GVRDemo, on this screenshot you can see version of Unity and error messages:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  5. Selaphiel

Selaphiel

May be update your google vr sdk

6. u_rs

u_rs

Really ? I downloaded it like 1-2 days ago.

7. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Looks like you have an issue with the Google VR SDK you imported. Try deleting the imported package and re-importing.

8. u_rs

u_rs

9. u_rs

u_rs

Some of scripts cannot be loaded. See picture. But GvrMain from Legacy directory works. What advantage of using newer one ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

You didn't include the legacy folder while importing
    Even with gvr 1.40 using the gvrviewer in the editor it requires scripts from the legacy folder
    Gvrviewer is going to be removed in 1.50 no clue how they want to support the editor then because it sure isn't doing much without

11. u_rs

u_rs

Ok, but this guy somehow doing it without Legacy, that's why I tried without it:

12. u_rs

u_rs

Is there any other ways but Google's SDK to setup VR in Unity (not doing everything from zero) ?

13. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

He is using an old version of the SDK which did not have the dependencies apparently?
    I started off with 1.30 just a few months ago, but to me it just seems like they're dropping in editor cardboard mode simulation as far as I can tell... even the editor log says it:
    Which makes testing a tedious time consuming job since you need to build it with IL2CPP which just takes a long time to build... If I'd had to wait 3 ~ 4 minutes for every single little change because I need to test something on the device, change in editor, build again... that's taking huge chunks of time.
    unacceptable, hopefully they will update this to get editor support.

14. u_rs

u_rs

Thanks, people. I should've been using GvrMain from Legacy folder, everything works fine.

ilmario likes this.