Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

(SOLVED) VR Frame Stuttering Using Oculus Rift S

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by bjornkarlsson1, Aug 23, 2020.

1. bjornkarlsson1

bjornkarlsson1

(!! SOLVED !!)
    Hi,
    I'm having a problem with frame stuttering in VR using Oculus Rift S.

I'm using Unity to design VR-experiences within the theatre business so that set designers can experience their designs in realtime without having to physically build anything.

My "level" is a single room, a kitchen (10x10m), where the player can use teleportation and snapturns to look around the room, very simple. Outside the room i have a 50x50m terrain and some
    trees to make it look pretty through the room windows.

I've optimised my level so that FPS consistently stays over 90 FPS. Also, the Main thread, render thread, batches, tris, verts, setpass calls and shadow casters all have pretty low numbers, as you can see in my attached stats window.
    Unity Stats.PNG
    Still, i'm getting these frame stutterings, both in unity and in build. Using the unity debugger i think that i might have found the problem though, namely these spikes that happen that also seem to correspond to my frame stutters.
    Unity debugger.PNG Unity debugger2.PNG
    For this i'm using
    Unity 2020.1 High Definition Render Pipeline
    XR-Interaction toolkit

My desktop computer spec's:

- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core 3,8 GHz 70Mb
    - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    - Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL14
    - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512 GB SSD
    - Windows 10 Home

- Latest Nvidia Game Ready Driver installed
    - Latest Windows 10 drivers
    - Latest Oculus drivers

Can anyone tell why they happen, what they are and how to fix it?

Much obliged

(SOLVED!) The problem was my USB 3.1 Port. Changed to another and it worked perfectly smooth. Apparently some kind of AMD motherboard compatibility problem...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    RedGirafeGames likes this.
  2. jerronimo3000

jerronimo3000

Hi, pretty new to Unity myself. Could you explain a bit more what I'm looking at? For the last couple of years that I've had VR, I've had unexplainable stutters that occur ONLY in Unity VR games, not any other engine. My frame times could be sub 5ms, constant 90fps, but I'd still see stutter in my headset. I've searched and searched for the problem, and I've found just a handful of posts with no solution. Until maybe this one hopefully!! I also have a B450 Tomahawk with a R5 3600. I only have one USB port that works with my headset so I can't swap ports like you did. Do you know if perhaps a PCIe USB hub would work as an alternative? Thank you so much for any help you can give. This issue has been incredibly frustrating.

3. bjornkarlsson1

bjornkarlsson1

Hi, I solved this problem a while ago and in my case the problem was actually a faulty Oculus Headset. I contacted oculus support and sent the headset to them and they confirmed that it was a faulty headset and sent me a new one without a cost..no problems for me since the new arrived.

4. RedGirafeGames

RedGirafeGames

Thanks for updating with the solution !!
    Struggled for hours with my rift s trying to understand why everything was jittering suddenly.