Search Unity

Resolved [SOLVED] Unity with VS Code and intellisense on Linux Mint

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fran_m, Oct 10, 2020.

1. fran_m

fran_m

Hi,
    Which c# script editor with Intellisense capabilities are you using with Unity Editor on Linux?
    Thanks

MrFun006, Tryptex and nikolain95-ru like this.
  2. fran_m

fran_m

I found one: VS Code
    I did these steps to make it work with Itellisense in Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon (son of Ubuntu 20.04):

0. I assume you already have Unity Editor running with the latest nvidia drivers
    1. Install VS Studio from .deb file (https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/linux)
    2. Open VS Code and install de C# extension OmniSharp (you will be asked to install it when you open VS Code). After tah close VS Code
    2. Install .net SDK from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/es-es/dotnet/core/install/linux-ubuntu#2004-
    3. Install latest Mono release (Ubuntu 20.04): https://www.mono-project.com/download/vs/
    But the next line must be changed:
    deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu vs-focal main
    for this one:
    deb [arch=amd64] https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu vs-focal main

(just added [arch=amd64] )

4. Open VS Code, go to menu File - Preferences - Settings - Extension - C# configuration
    look for "Omnisharp: Use Global Mono", and set it to "always".
    5. Close VS Code
    6. Go to Unity menu Edit - Preferences - External Tools - External Script Editor, and pick "Visual Studio Code"
    7.In the same window, check "Embedded packages", "Local packages", "Built-in packages", "Git packages" and after click on "Regenerate project files"

Hope it helps

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    iohnS, parkournick2, roy_m and 46 others like this.
  3. victorjchamorro

victorjchamorro

Thanks for sharing !!! It's working fine for my in Debian 10 !! Thanks very much! :)

Tryptex and nikolain95-ru like this.
  4. Tryptex

Tryptex

Thank you very much! I got everything right up to forcing global mono and regenerating the project files, I would never have figured that out on my own.

5. PellionX

PellionX

Many thanks! Every other source I could find says to set "Omnisharp: Use Global Mono" to "Never" for some reason. After several hours of frustration, you have saved my day.

6. aandrade64k

aandrade64k

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

7. ibqn

ibqn

Figured all that out myself, after spending an hour of research and tweaking stuff, and than finally found your post and screamed, Nooooaaahh. Thanks, very

8. Skepller

Skepller

Wow @fran_m what a goat! I was almost giving up on my own research until I just googled a super generic "unity coding linux" and found this post. Worked like a charm!

9. MateuszTulski

MateuszTulski

You are the BOSS !

10. MrFun006

MrFun006

Thanks a lot its working

11. TTuPC

TTuPC

Thank you so much!

12. Naushikha

Naushikha

I keep coming back to this post to setup Unity on any new Linux Mint installation. Thanks a bunch @fran_m!

13. argamidon

argamidon

Thank you very much, BOSS :)

14. andresjesse

andresjesse

Thanks! Working on Pop OS! (ubuntu-based) with Unity 2022 Beta!

15. josealfu

josealfu

You are a hero. These instructions should be in the official doc. Thanks!
    Tested with Zorin Lite.

16. clausiusreis

clausiusreis

fran_m... I owe you a beer!!!

17. Jonas_freire

Jonas_freire

Thank you so much!

18. JayLog

JayLog

Hi everyone! I followed the steps but I get these error messages on Pop_OS!

I get this in Unity when trying to open a script:
    DotnetMonoError.png

And when clicking OK it opens VS Code, where I'm greet with this other message:
    SDK_VSCode.png

I do have Mono and Dotnet installed. I'm new to Linux so I really don't know what to do here.

Anybody got the same issue?

19. SnowKaya

SnowKaya

Aparently this is an error from the Unity Debugger extension, if you have installed VsCode trough flatpak i strongly recommend you to install the .deb version, either from Microsoft's website or Pop Shop. For VsCode and other IDEs in general it's easier to use the native version, it just work out-the-box.

I think this is because VsCode was installed via flatpak, maybe it isn't detecting the .net install since flatpak apps are contained from the rest of the system.

20. JayLog

JayLog

Hi, thanks for the answer! I did install VS code from Pop Shop first but in that case I get this error:
    Screenshot from 2022-04-04 13-43-11.png

Even though I do have VS Code installed, that's why I tried with the flatpak version instead.
    In Preferences > External Tools, I have "code" selected as my main editor but that was auto completed. I couldn't actually find the editor by browsing, maybe Unity is looking for it in the wrong place?
    I'm new to linux so I don't really know how to check :(

21. fbarnaud

fbarnaud

Hi,
    I have the exact same issue on PopOs ! Does someone knows how to solve this ? What is really strange : when I browse through my explorer I can find where the code executable is, but for some reason when browsing through Unity explorer it does not appear...

However, if I switch to "Open by file extension", then C# scripts are opened with code and IntelliSense is working since I installed .NET sdk manually + following initial post.

EDIT : seems the main issue I had is not linked to VS studio directly. I had Unity Hub installed with flatpak, and for some reason the full unity editor was running in sandbox, not accessing the full hard drive (to my understanding).
    I have now installed Unity Hub 3.0 following this link : https://docs.unity3d.com/hub/manual/InstallHub.html#install-hub-linux
    Now I do have access to code directly + Intellisense

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    JayLog likes this.
  22. sakunix

sakunix

Omnisharp configuration changes and no longer works. "Use Global Mono" no longer exists

23. MX-Pain

MX-Pain

You can click on the gear icon (right next to the C# extension, inside VC) and select , install another version. And select one of the few options appear in the dropdown menu. Can't remember which I pick cuz I'm not on the pc right now but it was one from 2-3 previous versions. Reload VC and look for the options on omnisharp and set it to always again.

24. mechane

mechane

Now you only need to uncheck Omnisharp:useModernNet instead of step 4. Do every other step mentionned above by fran_m

25. ian_sorbello

ian_sorbello

Legend! I worked on this prob for hours following similar advice from other threads. This is the one that worked! I think the [arch=amd64] was the magic dust. :D

bakhtrian likes this.
  26. esillen

esillen

27. iohnS

iohnS

Still works for my, Ubuntu 22.04. Checked the "Dotnet > Server > Use Omnisharp" to true which worked for me after restarting.