Search Unity

Resolved [SOLVED] Unity will not load older projects

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ItzELECTRO, Dec 10, 2021.

1. ItzELECTRO

ItzELECTRO

Hello,

I do not know if this has been discussed before or if anyone has has/had this problem but my Unity instalation (2021.2.5f1) will not open my project witch was created in 2020.3.24f1,

The editor would just freeze half-way through and then close after a few minutes of being stuck

I have made backups and tried launching it in multiple 2021 unity versions and the new 2022 beta but none would open the project, even though i was able to create new projects in each one with absolutely no problems

If anyone has any idea of how to fix this, please do tell, there are some packages that i need and cannot install because they are not compatible with my unity version

2. AkilaStudio

AkilaStudio

i have the same problem it's super annoying i hope unity take action

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Try deleting the library folder and trying again.

4. ItzELECTRO

ItzELECTRO

I have found a solution, bit of a wierd one but it worked, so what you have to do is enter any version before 2021.2 and edit each one of your texture files from high quality to normal quality, and also empty the "packagecache" folder inside "library" in your project folder, then re-put the one by one (in 2021.2) (checking in the engine after putting each one) and if one causes the engine to crash remove it and relaunch, as i said, very wierd

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Can you reproduce the problem with a single image file in an old Unity version, then upgrade it and see it lock?

If so, it would be awesome if you could use that file in an empty project and file a bug (probably using the old version) and explain what steps are crashing the new version.

6. ItzELECTRO

ItzELECTRO

I have found the source of the problem, very recently actually, it was because of the new compressing system from 2021.2 and up, all i had to do to fix it was to go back to the legacy compressor in the editor section in project settings

but yes i suppose a bug raport would be very helpful for fixing the issue without needing to change the compressor

7. ElHaban3ro

ElHaban3ro

I honestly don't understand why Unity doesn't fix this. Loading a project into a version of Unity A LITTLE (we're talking about versions months apart) becomes a pain in the ass.