Search Unity

Bug [SOLVED] Unity using all disk space whenever I open a project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Abyssal_Epicc, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Abyssal_Epicc

Abyssal_Epicc

So I recently installed a new version of Unity (2022.1, not beta or alpha) and I installed the UWP and WebGL and I ported two 2D projects to the new version from 2020.3 LTS, and it said that I needed to import a newer version of URP, so I did. After I did that, it said I had less than 1 GB of disk space, and sure enough, I had 400 MB.

I tested this for a new project using the 2D URP template and it did the same exact thing. How could I reach a resolution? This has never happened to me in the past!

2. spiney199

spiney199

How big are your drives and how big are the projects in question?

Unity projects get rather big; you need some reasonably sized drives to accommodate.

3. Trindenberg

Trindenberg

There's a handy utility called TreeSize (free version) which maps all the space used on your drives. If you have a small drive it should help you free some space. My main system drive is only 500gb so used it a lot to clean up space but I try to keep this drive just for programs rather than projects.

My projects are kept on another drive because they get quite big. Library folders take up the most (why can't PackageCache be centralised rather than copying for every project???) So, I've used TreeSize to delete a load of Library folders for projects I haven't accessed in a long time. When I say big, I mean up to 9gb for a small project, per project. So bear that in mind too!

4. Abyssal_Epicc

Abyssal_Epicc

My drives are quite small but I have a 128 GB drive and the project, two are literally just a 2D template and one when built is less than 30 MB so I assuming somewhere around 500 MB in the editor. I do not know exactly though

5. Trindenberg

Trindenberg

Dont think you should delete out of appdata but its your call what you delete if you are sure its temp. Temp files usually in temp folder

6. Abyssal_Epicc

Abyssal_Epicc

I just went from 4 GB of space to 7.12 GB, thank you so much! TreeSize definitely helped me. I haven't tested Unity but I will soon

7. Trindenberg

Trindenberg

How big is your drive? Maybe uninstall games or software no longer in use. Its important you have a sizeable amount of free space on disks otherwise its rewriting a small area many times / wearing down disk life. :)

8. Abyssal_Epicc

Abyssal_Epicc

I can finally use Unity! Thank you so much! I have a 128 GB hard drive but I want to upgrade it soon.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    Trindenberg likes this.
  9. Tensor2

Tensor2

My project has about 150gb of actual files (mostly just music). The library folder is 1.7 TB. A bigger SSD will run me $500. Unity's library folder garbage can go to hell. Ignoring it is not a valid option. Unity is simply not being reasonable.

10. spiney199

spiney199

Not sure where you're buying hardware from, but I can get a 4TB SSD for a lot less than $500 Australian Dollars (yes, Australian, US ones I look at are about $250 USD as expected).

If you think Unity is unreasonable, you should try video editing. Back when I was doing a bit of Youtube stuff, I'd fill up hard drive after hard drive. Think I have about 10TB of hard drives on a shelf. 1.7TB is childs play.