Search Unity

[Solved] Unity Editor doesn't start "Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Paulwoerks, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Paulwoerks

Paulwoerks

problem
    - in the Unity Hub I select a project and the Editor boot up screen shows up for a few seconds
    - Editor boot up screen exits out, I'm back in the Unity Hub
    - for a split second I get the error message "Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version". with a yellow allert sign on the bottom left corner.
    - creating and opening a new project works once. After reopening the project, the same issue accures.

failed fixes
    - reinstall the editor
    - install different versions of the editor
    - reinstall unity hub
    - reinstall my whole windows, deleting even personal data

Does someone has a similar problem or even better did someone found a solution to that?
    It drives me crazy.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  2. Paulwoerks

Paulwoerks

Update
    Maybe someone else struggles with this. Here is how I fixed it:

- Problem was that I tried to import a project that I worked on before resetting windows. The error accured every time I imported the old project and affected the the whole Hub when I tried to boot it up.

- Solution was to reinstall windows again, open a new project and fill it up with my old project manually by dragging in the assets. There were a whole lot of errors I had to fix first but now it works again.

3. kbm

kbm

I have literally the exact same problem. Thanks for at least pointing to a solution..but I REALLY do not want to reinstall Windows and do the manual refilling trick..seems absolutely insane..
    Unity..please help, I can not work at all on my project anymore! Already posted a support ticket, but no response yet...

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did you at least try the "create a new project and drag the old project assets into it" solution before reinstalling Windows?

5. Paulwoerks

Paulwoerks

Yes I did but that was after I tried to open the old project. Once you f*cked up the hub there is no way to fix it other than reinstall windows. (I tried everything).

So I had to reinstall it and this time I didn't open the old project but just copy+pasted the assets.
    And I bet when I would open the old one now, I woud have to install windows once again to make it work

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

There is probably a lot more than that. If you break the Hub, and I don't even see how you could do that, deinstalling it and reinstalling it is enough to fix it.

7. Paulwoerks

Paulwoerks

Sure it's not just breaking the hub but since we don't know what exactly is broken I use it as a metaphore for the problem ;) I even deleted all files in Appdata and all files with the name "unity" in it in my whole system. Didn't work out.

@kbm Sorry to say that but I suggest you to backup your files and reinstall windows if you need to work with Unity.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I work with Unity and I haven't had to reinstall Windows for that. You probably didn't even have to do that.

9. Paulwoerks

Paulwoerks

Well as I mentioned dragging the files in a new project after the error occured didn't work for me because new projects also won't open. I assume that @kbm tried the same.

10. marc081

marc081

Same problem here.
    Im new in unity so spend last 8 hrs with learning.
    Day after I try to open a existing project to continue the same issue.Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version.(must click a 20x times to read that flash message appear under HUB)
    Im using a Unity personal version 2019.3.0f1, so every time I start the Unity HUb warning that I dont have a active licence.
    Try every time with manual activation. But problem not solved. Unity is already in list.............
    So I found the solution. Its work for me maybe it will be helpful for some of you.
    1. Delete the /ProgramData/Unity
    2. Turn off windows Firewall
    3. Turn off the internet connection
    4. Launch the Unity HUB
    5. Manual put the licence until write that cant connect to server
    6. Turn on the internet connection
    7. Dismiss the all warning and under HUB until my licence was accepted and activated
    8. Open through HUB the last project and it normally start
    The reinstalling Unity or HUB and etc didnt work for me problem was again and again and reinstalling the Windows was insane if that bug is there so can happen any time.
    Maybe it help for some of you. Cheers

11. MikeWise

MikeWise

I have this too, on my laptop that I need to travel with. It still works fine on my desktop, which are my two seats for my Pro License. I am definitely not going to reinstall Windows, but the reply from marc081 is not too attractive either. Wondering if it will go away tomorrow :). Looks to me like it might be some kind of wierd licensing bug on their server.

12. RubberDragonGames

RubberDragonGames

Paulwoerks likes this.
  13. devonelee

devonelee

14. rbf192

rbf192

This was happening to me after I switched my PC from the Ethernet connection to Wifi, I switched back and it now opens the project correctly :confused:

15. unity_aXi1gLUyaAw0qw

unity_aXi1gLUyaAw0qw

that's ridiculous.

I have migrated to the 4G internet and the same happened, had to switch back to the Ethernet connection.
    Needless to say, it must work under any connection from any source.

So does anyone know how to refresh connection? where does UNity store connection about the internet

16. ObvSoft

ObvSoft

I confirm, the first time I installed and used Unity 2019.3.15f1 and Unity Hub 2.3.2 I was on Wifi connection.
    Since I come back home, I use my Ethernet connection and disabled my Wifi network adpater.
    Then Unity Hub did not want to open any of my projects (collaborative nor local) with the mysterious-fast-as-light message : "Unity is already in list. You cannot locate the same version".
    I just reactivated my Wifi network adapter, but still connected on Ethernet relaunched the Unity Hub and it said something like "Your license is up to date!" and now I can reopen any of my project...
    I guess the license and network adapter are kind of tied up... Puzzling indeed...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  17. ObvSoft

ObvSoft

Some news from Unity support :

18. thetafferboy

thetafferboy

19. mi-ni-am

mi-ni-am

i found my unity hub 2.4.3 working in enabling some microsoft services again that had been disabled especially crypto services and internal systems like com+ and coordination services ... no reinstall ... services enabled ...worked again!