Search Unity

[SOLVED] Unity 2020 WebGL Doesn't work Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token

Discussion in 'Web' started by iwanPlays, Apr 21, 2020.

1. iwanPlays

iwanPlays

Error in chrome:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
    2. entershadowweb4.loader.js:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: unityFramework is not defined
    3.     at HTMLScriptElement.n.onload (entershadowweb4.loader.js:1)
    4. entershadowweb4.loader.js:1 [UnityCache] 'http://192.168.56.1:8000/entershadowweb4/Build/entershadowweb4.data.gz' successfully downloaded and stored in the indexedDB cache
    Win10. 2020.2.0a7. Same with 2020.1.

I'm testing a build using miniweb of https://iwanplays.itch.io/enter-shadow but I also created a fresh empty project with 2020.2.0a7 and got the same result. Optimized for speed, not size.

4MB web built package: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kqij-8ti-K7pltZr1gr9dOdyl7zz2m-j/view?usp=sharing

haro99, Tymianek, Don_Gums and 2 others like this.
  2. iwanPlays

iwanPlays

3. RandomGeneratorCodes

RandomGeneratorCodes

Hey, I'm pretty new to unity and want to put my first game on itch.io.
    However, whenever I run the ZIPPED file in the unpublished draft, it says "invalid token '<'"
    PLEASE HELP!

4. Tommy1977

Tommy1977

same problem invalid token "<"

5. ina

ina

disabling compression is a very bad caveman solution

6. Jolan118

Jolan118

Any other solutions?

7. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

An error "Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token" or ""invalid token '<'" suggests that the compression setting did not match with the server hosting configuration:

either the server is set to host pre-compressed content (by enabling the Content-Encoding: gzip HTTP response header on the resources), but the files that have been uploaded to the server are not actually pre-compressed; or

the server is not set to host pre-compressed content (no Content-Encoding: gzip HTTP response header is configured), but the files that have been uploaded have been pre-compressed.

That is, the two things need to match: if one uploads uncompressed content, then "Content-Encoding: gzip" HTTP response header must *NOT* be present in the server configuration, and if one uploads precompressed content, then "Content-Encoding: gzip" HTTP response header *MUST* be present in the server configuration.

Not familiar with how itch.io configures its hosting, but maybe there is a way to toggle the "Content-Encoding: gzip" in its configuration system?

_TheFuture_, ocoder and Drahztic like this.
  8. nauroman

nauroman

Enable decompression fallback

https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.2/Documentation/Manual/webgl-deploying.html

9. mvperrotta

mvperrotta

Thanks for this fallback solution!! This works for me. Had to get this up before the morning and I don't have access to our servers, so this was a great solution until we can make that change. It loads slowly for now, but at least it loads. And I'm assuming it loads at least a bit more quickly than skipping compression altogether.

10. AgnosiaGames

AgnosiaGames

I added this code to "index.html";
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. <meta http-equiv="content-encoding" content="gzip" />
    And ".htaccess" file has this code;
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. <IfModule mod_mime.c>
    2.   AddEncoding gzip .unityweb
    3.   AddEncoding gzip .wasm
    4.   AddType application/wasm .wasm
    5. </IfModule>
    But it doesn't work. I have to put this code to another place? Where? And did you mean a code like this or i have to use a different code?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    muhammad_ali_safdar likes this.
  11. AgnosiaGames

AgnosiaGames

"Disable Compression" is not a real solution. Why you wrote "[SOLVED]"? :)

CrandellWS and _TheFuture_ like this.
  12. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

I have never before seen that kind of http-equiv line. Do you have a reference about this? (my google turned up nothing) In my current understanding that cannot work because a) meta directives should only apply to the file they are in (in this case index.html), and b) the directive is inside the very content that is to be compressed, so a browser should successfully decompress the content first to get to know what the compression is? (a chicken-and-an-egg problem)

This looks good to me Are you using Apache web server? Are there any errors in the log? Are mod_mime & mod_deflate enabled? Are .htaccess files enabled? Check out e.g. https://forum.unity.com/threads/cant-seem-to-get-apache-to-serve-unityweb-as-gzip.526540/

"Disable Compression" is the real solution if the web hosting one is using already employs on-demand caching server-side compression. When hosting content on such a server, users should disable compression in Unity builds.

De-Panther likes this.
  13. AgnosiaGames

AgnosiaGames

I meant if older versions of Unity doesn't have this problem, How this can be a real solution? It is a new problem on Unity 2020. Is this a bug? Or older versions of Unity have bug?? :D Sorry, i am just asking these questions to myself for many months. :D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  14. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

The only difference between older Unity versions and newer versions is that we have changed the default settings: starting from 2020.1, software compression fallback is disabled by default; whereas in older versions it was enabled by default. That is what makes it look as if Unity 2020.1 has a "bug". If you enable software decompression fallback, you will get old behavior back.

The core thing here is that nobody should be using software compression fallback. Sure it will have the effect of making the page load, but at great expense to startup times if the server configuration is not correct. That in turn will lead to people blaming Unity that Unity is slow to start up in the browser, when in reality the issue was that the hosting web server did not have the correct configuration.

Hence we want to switch gears and push developers towards the right performant solution out of the box: get the server configuration right.

Unfortunately the way that this change landed in Unity 2020.1, the startup experience missed good diagnostics messages to explain when server compression was misconfigured. We have just recently improved this, so next Unity point release should print out more helpful messages at startup if server compression configuration is not properly set up.

15. AgnosiaGames

AgnosiaGames

Key information is this. :)

CrandellWS and Pacosmico like this.
  16. ATIliev

ATIliev

Can you point me to a good source or documentation for the right way for server configuration. Thanks for the post.

17. AgnosiaGames

AgnosiaGames

18. Binary42

Binary42

It is maybe worth to add, how to check if compression is enabled on server side:

gzip:
    $ curl -I -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip' https://www.myDomain.asdf

brotli:
    $ curl -I -H 'Accept-Encoding: br' https://www.myDomain.asdf

The response will be something like this:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Apache/2.4
    ETag: "ff5-5a044b137d5c0-gzip"
    Accept-Ranges: bytes
    Vary: Accept-Encoding
    Content-Encoding: gzip
    Content-Length: 1574
    Content-Type: text/html

typhoonmoon1022 likes this.
  19. xshadowmintx

xshadowmintx

This is still broken with no useful error message.

20. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

The improved error messages have landed in to Unity 2021.1.0a4 in November 2020, with a backport request active for Unity 2020.2, but that has unfortunately not yet landed. If possible try checking out Unity 2021.1.0b4 Pre-Release where the improved error messages should exist.

21. xshadowmintx

xshadowmintx

You have to be kidding. Rolling forward to the pre-alpha quality 2021 release is only going to cause more things to be broken.

tldr; for anyone else who finds this thread:

Yes, this is effectively a breaking change in the 2020+ versions of unity; if you're here, you should probably roll back to and stick with the 2019 LTS.

22. SteeBono

SteeBono

I had the same problem on IIS.
    I solved this way:

web.config in root folder

Code (JavaScript):
    1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    2. <configuration>
    3.     <system.webServer>
    4.             <staticContent>
    5.                 <remove fileExtension=".unityweb" />
    6.                 <mimeMap fileExtension=".unityweb" mimeType="application/octet-stream" />
    7.             </staticContent>
    8.     </system.webServer>
    9. </configuration>
    web.config in 'build' folder

Code (JavaScript):
    1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    2. <configuration>
    3.     <system.webServer>
    4.             <staticContent>
    5.                 <remove fileExtension=".unityweb" />
    6.                 <mimeMap fileExtension=".unityweb" mimeType="application/octet-stream" />
    7.                 <mimeMap fileExtension=".framework.js.gz" mimeType="application/javascript" />
    8.                 <mimeMap fileExtension=".data.gz" mimeType="application/octet-stream" />
    9.                 <mimeMap fileExtension=".wasm.gz" mimeType="application/wasm" />
    10.             </staticContent>
    11.             <rewrite>
    12.               <outboundRules rewriteBeforeCache="true">
    13.                 <rule name="Custom gzip file header">
    14.                   <match serverVariable="RESPONSE_CONTENT_ENCODING" pattern=".*" />
    15.                   <conditions>
    16.                     <add input="{REQUEST_URI}" pattern="\.gz$" />
    17.                   </conditions>
    18.                   <action type="Rewrite" value="gzip"/>
    19.                 </rule>
    20.               </outboundRules>
    22.               <rules>
    23.                 <rule name="Rewrite gzip file">
    24.                   <match url="(.*)"/>
    25.                   <conditions>
    26.                     <add input="{HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING}" pattern="gzip" />
    27.                     <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}.gz" matchType="IsFile" />
    28.                   </conditions>
    29.                   <action type="Rewrite" url="{R:1}.gz" />
    30.                 </rule>
    31.               </rules>
    32.             </rewrite>
    33.     </system.webServer>
    34. </configuration>
    Explanation

Files compiled by Unity3D are already compressed in GZIP.
    IIS must only add the header 'Content-Encoding: gzip' for these files without compressing them again in gzip.

I hope this can help.

23. dog_funtom

dog_funtom

A tip for users of GH Pages. In 2020.2.6 (maybe earlier too) you don't have to disable compression. Instead, enable decompression fallbacks and this error will go away.

ValkeAllar likes this.
  24. naber78

naber78

2020.3 and still no good diagnostic message, took me some time to get to here.

25. liaoxingxue

liaoxingxue

For nginx, DO NOT CONTAINS .gz IN index.html to refer files

If the gzip_static directive is configured for nginx, for example, for the file abc.js, nginx will first try to find the file with the .gz suffix (abc.js.gz), if it does not exist, it will look for abc.js, which means can no longer include the .gz suffix in the URL path

Obviously nginx in order to map the correct file mime type, so there is no need to map different js.gz, css.gz and wasm.gz for js, css or wasm files(Content-Type), which eliminates duplicate configuration

26. Stardog

Stardog

This worked for me, but I think a Compression Format has to be selected, instead of Disabled.

27. insominx

insominx

For those using node.js and express, this worked for me (probably not the bespoke right way to do it):

Code (JavaScript):
    2. this.server.use(function (req, res, next) {
    3.         if(req.originalUrl.endsWith("wasm.gz")){
    4.             res.set("Content-Type", "application/wasm");
    5.         }
    7.         if(req.originalUrl.endsWith(".gz")){
    8.             res.set("Content-Encoding", "gzip");
    9.         }
    11.         next();
    12. });
    Of note, it's easy to confuse Content-Type with Content-Encoding when then are quite different.

JohnKoz likes this.
  28. yaach

yaach

Using Unity 2020.3.16f1 LTS, I got this same issue, build was not loading. Enabling 'Decompression Fallback' on Player Settings fixed the issue and now game loads on the web browser. Also, since I was testing locally, I need to spin a web server to test the game so I used python web server (http.server).

Previous versions of Unity don't even have this setting (Decompression Fallback), as someone indicated above, this setting was on the backend and now has been exposed to us.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 9.05.51 AM.png

29. MikaelKor

MikaelKor

Thanks a lot!

I have been trying to find solution how to get this compressed build to work on azure hosted web site for days and this one fixed the issue.

30. ANLevant

ANLevant

31. AlexFCL

AlexFCL

For IIS hosted gzip builds:

Unity3D 2021.3 Solved by the following for WebGL builds using gzip with no decompression fallback:

Go to this page and save a web.config in the build folder:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/webgl-server-configuration-code-samples.html

I run IIS in my local machine and can see these settings take effect via IIS Manager.

For Chrome:
    Then do the clear IndexedDB step from: https://forum.unity.com/threads/ran...eeded-after-unity-has-loaded-in-webgl.332956/

32. elroy910

elroy910

In my case it were 2 things that caused this problem.
    1. I installed the WebGL Builder while my Unity was open, so close Unity, then install WebGL builder and re-open project
    2. My systemclock was 3 minutes away of the current time. So synchronise System Clock

33. SeRiAlKiL

SeRiAlKiL

You,sir, are a God