Search Unity

[Solved] Unity 2017.3 Desktop Launcher

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Brogan89, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Brogan89

Brogan89

Hey the previous Unity 2017.2 has a desktop launcher but the latest 2017.3 does not, unless Im missing something. So I have navigate to the application file each time to open Unity.
    I tried added a custom `.desktop` file in ~/.local/applications but I keep getting errors "Unable to launch application"
    The file looks like
    The icon is just a random unity png i got off the google images.

What am I doing wrong?

2. DevLaTron

DevLaTron

Edit: Ignore the original post, characters looked strange on my mobile device, here's a solution:

IIt seems environment variables are not resolved in all implementations...

so you can use

Exec=sh -c "$HOME/my/path/to/editor" which will cause sh to resolve it

or directly use

Exec=/home/name/my/path/to/editor

depending on your needs.

Original text, please ignore: Are those Pipes "|" ? They should be backslashes "\"...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

When I installed it, it did create a shortcut on the desktop; I had to delete it. I have to delete those each time I install Unity...

4. Brogan89

Brogan89

hey are back slashes yes.

I don't quite get it sorry. So you had to delete the old desktop shortcuts then install unity? I think ill delete everything and reinstall unity to see what happens.

5. orb

orb

Try running from a terminal to see any error output. Also try using ldd on the binary to see if any libraries are missing.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

No, installing unity creates the desktop shortcuts; I delete the shortcuts because I don't want to see them on my desktop.
    The installer doesn't have the courtesy of asking us if we want the damn shortcuts to be created or not...

7. sharamun

sharamun

8. Brogan89

Brogan89