Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED] Transform tools don't work on certain objects...need advice

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by mwsheeler, Feb 7, 2019.

1. mwsheeler

mwsheeler

I am new to Unity. Am taking the Pluraisight course called Unity 2018 Fundamentals. I am on a tutorial in the course describing how to create a prefab.

I watched the instructor drag an object onto the scene and it shows the transform gizmo on the selected object, in this case a partial floor object, and he is rotating it. I followed along in my scene and dragged that floor object in but no transforms can be applied either through the keyboard short cuts W-E-R or selecting them from the menu bar.

If I click-select on an already existing object like the massive floor structure below that Floor tile then the transform gizmo appears.

How do I fix this? I have followed the tutorial very closely, pausing at each step and repeating when necessary. But I see nothing that I am doing differently from the instructor.

Here are two screen grabs, one showing the small object selected with no gizmo and the second showing the large object below that has the gizmo.

Transform_01.jpg

Transform_02.jpg

Here is a Screengrab from the video showing the transform gizmo appearing on this selected object.

Transform_3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. mwsheeler

mwsheeler

An Update...for some reason the problem disappeared and I was able to make transforms, using keyboard shortcuts and from the menu.

Yea!

And then after about a half four later the problem started again. The transform gizmo would not show. on certain items.

This is frustrating. I have been turning the program off and on hoping against hope that it would correct itself. As I write this...nothing. Meaning I am unable to continue learning from this set of tutorials.

Could still use help if someone has seen anything similar to this problem.

3. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Take a look at the toolbar in the center-top of the scene view. The probuilder icons. They have the left one selected, you have the right one selected... this is the reason you cannot move/rotate objects. I think you chose the face editing mode (I don't remember what is the name of it).

4. mwsheeler

mwsheeler

Thank you so much. You were absolutely right. I never caught that. That I was in Face mode in Probuilder. I spent hours off and on trying to get it to work. Thank you for taking the time to help a newcomer to Unity. I am really loving learning this software. Very grateful here.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.