Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED] Textures flickering in VR only (a curved "C"-like flicker pattern)

Discussion in 'VR' started by felt9099, Sep 2, 2020.

1. felt9099

felt9099

I've been working tirelessly on troubleshooting this Unity VR environment (you know the feeling) and I'm down to my last issue...

While moving in the VR environment (moving w/HTC Vive Pro controller and wearing the headset) certain building textures will flicker. The flicker often looks bent, like a backward "C" moved across certain parts of the texture and distorted the image for a moment. This flicker is only visible while wearing the headset; the mirror image on the computer does not show it happening.

Has anyone experienced/solved this issue? Any ideas as to what is happening here?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Sounds like Z-fighting to me. That often shows up better in the headset than on a desktop.

3. felt9099

felt9099

Thanks for the reply!

This is different than Z-Fighting (which I had a lot of) but I think I figured it out. Naturally, I figured it out a few minutes after posting.

4. felt9099

felt9099

Future people with this issue, here was my solution:

1. Note that I have a lot of real time lighting in my environment.

Because of this, I changed the Graphics Tier Settings (under Edit tab), in particular, I changed the "Rendering Path" from "Forward" to "Deferred" - this was the key change.

When building the game this setting did not hold for some reason... So I went into the Build Settings --> Player Settings --> Graphics --> and changed each tier level options so that their specifications matched and each one had Deferred rendering (so it will always be what I want during build).

Problem solved.

JoeStrout likes this.