Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain [Solved] Terrain Layers not working with LWRP in upgraded project.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Sun-Dog, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

I've been googling around for a few hours and now I'll just give up and ask...

I have a scene that I've upgraded to 2018.3.9f1. Unity created a folder called _TerrainAutoUpgrade and created new terrain layers. They show up with the wonderful pink broken shader color when viewed in the scene. The terrain layers themselves seem to be fine.

If I check under the terrain settings I see this:
    47a0af76ac5e09d09be3cd14ebc4543f.png

"Ok!" I say. "The terrain is using the Standard Shader. These need to use a LWRP compatible shader!"

But if I choose "Custom", I can't assign a shader, a slot appears and it apparently wants a MATERIAL!

I can put a material into that slot:
    17c8e6ae5a8692f42afe8932784f9ee8.png

But if I do, then the terrain is mapped 1:1 with the material (texture/shader) - which is ridiculous - and the system seems to ignore the terrain layers and the spat map.

How do I upgrade the terrain layers to use the LWRP so they work on the terrain?

P.S.: There is some talk about selecting "Draw Instanced" as a solution, but no: Draw Instanced simply makes the terrain invisible... and then the psychedelic artifacts come out when the scene view camera is moved.

2. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

Interesting: It seems that *UPGRADED* terrain may be broken!

This is an image of the inspector of a new terrain:
    08abc4f18390238f1722cdd30eddb623.png

Notice that there is a "TerrainLit" material but no texture applied?

This is the image of the upgraded/converted terrain:
    7aa18925d19b0db7c4e796da9b316c3b.png

Between Settings and Terrain Layers there is NOTHING and no way to set or select the base shader.

Took me a while to notice that... :-/

I'll try to find a workaround, but if anyone has any hints or suggestions, I'll take them.

3. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

Figured it out.

The "TerrainLit" material needs to be added in the settings tab!
    e459cf87aa825519cb89b3946238bd89.png

Terrain Lit can be found in the packages that come with the LWRP here:
    375c088eb6a8aa547bf89eb07fe22de4.png

BollyFlex, Braza, Quast and 1 other person like this.
  4. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Glad the terrain shader is set up for LWRP, not so great that the Tree Creator shaders don't work!

rthom likes this.
  5. herrenderschoepfung

herrenderschoepfung

Also works by creating a new material with the default shader "Lightweight Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit" and linking it to the terrain in the debug inspector.

6. B1QQ

B1QQ

thank you.

7. Batz_

Batz_

THANK YOU! This is the only thing that's worked for me!!!

8. Xtro

Xtro

Thank you very much for this AMAZING information.

I want to add this little detail too. This little button is very important because it unhides package materials in asset picker window so you can see TerrainLit material.

Attached Files:

unityunity