Search Unity

[Solved] Spline Curvature won't go linear

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by LiterallyJeff, Jun 5, 2018.

1. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

I've seen in tutorial videos that the Spline Curvature of a Cinemachine Free Look Camera should be making the spline go from linear, to curved.

When I change the slider from 0 to 1, I'm seeing it go from curved, to excessively curved.

Am I missing something obvious about how this spline works?

Curvature = 1
    Curvature_1.PNG
    Curvature = 0
    Curvature_0.PNG
    Height & Radius Config:
    Curvature_settings.PNG

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

The tutorials were old. The spline can't go linear any more. This is to ensure continuity of the 2nd-order derivatives of the spline - otherwise you can get angular jerks when the camera goes over the bump.

LiterallyJeff likes this.
  3. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

That makes sense, but as you can see at either extreme I'm getting a very steep slope between the mid and bottom rig, and very little control over the curve in general. While it looks acceptable in practice, it's not my desired outcome. It would be great to be able to control the tangents of the spline manually or something to create a more balanced curve. I'd preferably like to avoid changing my shots to accommodate the interpolation.

This is my first dive into Cinemachine, so I'm sure I can find another way to get the results I'm looking for. I'll be experimenting with other approaches once I'm home later, but if you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Try adjusting your orbit radii/heights to give you a nicer surface. Probably you're pushing them too hard