Search Unity

[SOLVED] Sluggish editor behaviour with single gameobject selection

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Deleted User, May 12, 2015.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm working for a client on a large game production. We have scenes with single terrain and a very high number of assets with LOD setups (.unity scene file is 70 mb).

The problem is when I select a single gameobject and move it around, the behaviour of the editor becomes really sluggish down to 1 FPS or less. Especially moving the camera while something is selected is really sluggish causing the camera to lag and makes inputing a camera rotation or pan really difficult. Also during this behaviour, moving or rotating objects becomes irratic.

This behaviour started to occur for me when Unity introduced its own LOD system, I don't know if this is related. Everytime the editor was having difficulties I noticed CPU usage maxing out. I have since upgraded my CPU from 2.8 Ghz duo core to a quadcore from to 3.4 Ghz. The behaviour still persists.

The weird thing is that when I have more than 1 gameobject selected these problems are completely GONE. With CPU usage quite low.

I'd attach the bug report but I can't find it.

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Help > Send Bug Report

Sometimes the editor can get sluggish if you use it for extended times. Does restarting speed things up?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Generally: no. It gets a tad bit better at times, but no, it's a persistent problem that's consistent. Disabling CPU intense features like precomputed GI, or lighting in general, also helps a little but not a lot. Something in the editor code is really maxing out the hardware, which seems to be the problem. Moving multiple gameobjects always fixes the peformance issue, but this is completely impractical as a work around.

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Do you have editor tools running? or anything using [ExecuteInEditMode]? Maybe a lot of lights? 70mb is big, but shouldn't be enough to slow things down.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks, we just checked this. However we managed to find out using GPU-Z that the problems are a result of GPU memory maxing out. I just disabled static batching to reduce GPU memory as a temporary work around while I get a new GPU.

Thanks for the help!