Search Unity

[Solved] "Selective" rendering?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by RiokuTheSlayer, Jan 20, 2015.

1. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

So I saw this thread the other day, and I though "Hey, that's pretty cool."
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/404637/subtractive-rendering.html

I was wondering if I could somehow invert this effect? As in, I only want A to be visible when B is over it, and C will be visible unless A is being displayed. I have practically no experience with shaders myself, or the layering system that the cameras use..

If there's any simple way to do this, I'd appreciate it.

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Looks like you need some custom shaders. Otherwise maybe it is simpler to use the stencil buffer in a shader.

3. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

I figured as much, but as I said, I have "practically" no experience using shaders, and wouldn't know how to make one that does what I want.

4. Jessy

Jessy

I think it's simple, but I wouldn't have several years ago. The perception of simplicity is only achieved through knowledge or ignorance.

I believe everything you're talking about will be achievable by only via changing render order and whether a shader writes color.

These videos are old, so I don't remember exactly what I talked about, but I remember thinking that I explained the depth buffer pretty well.

5. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

I'll look into it, thanks

6. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

I got the effect that I'm looking for elsewhere! Thanks for the help regardless