Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question (SOLVED) Screen rectangle tracers when view in motion.

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Homicide, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Homicide

Homicide

So, i don't really know much about cameras, lights, action and hollywood. But i think that maybe, what im seeing is something to do with lighting and exposure. Though, i dont actually have any exposure override configured atm, its disabled.

I have 3 directional lights, a moon, sun, and a lightning light. All using very low intensity values, really low. When my lightning lights up, (it does use a random intensity value) if i look around, i am seeing what appears to be tracers of the screen view, rectangular exact prints of the previous frame, lit into the scene real quickly, and they disappear. Also worth noting, is it only seems to be the sky (PBSky) and clouds / fog that are hit by this. None of the actual geometry is leaving these 'imprints'.

Again, i suspect this might be an exposure thing, but i do not know enough about this field to even begin looking up keywords / topics etc.

Long story short, i really dislike it, it looks trashy. I did try adding exposure control and tonemapping, nothing really seemed to reduce it. Is this a normal thing with HDRP lighting? Is there anything i can do to ease the blatant square left over images its leaving behind with each frame of view movement?

If i can provide more information i will , let me know, not sure how to get a vid up here.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  2. m0nsky

m0nsky

Hi, can you post your Unity/HDRP version, a screenshot of your issue, and a list of all active effects? Please list the global volume effects (Edit -> Project Settings -> Graphics -> HDRP Global Settings) and local volume effects (active in your current scene) that are currently enabled.

Homicide likes this.
  3. Homicide

Homicide

Hmm, i can not really get a screenshot and have it reflect what i am describing, so i loaded a video into my gDrive, as i do not know how to put a video up here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UaFvCRJAXo67zhDmnLrn0yJyFZUV3_IB/view?usp=sharing

And here is a screenshot of some settings and version, if you need more please do let me know. Ty.

https://ibb.co/wSx0X5q

It is very simple, there is only one profile in use, not alot going on there. But i can not understand what causes that tracer. But, you can clearly see a screen shaped silhoutte being left behind. This is what im trying to describe. I dont like it. :(

4. m0nsky

m0nsky

That is a reprojection issue. Can you also show your Camera settings? (Dynamic Resolution and TAA specifically)

The "easiest" thing you could try in the meantime, is to make a backup of your project, and then try to upgrade to Unity 2022.1 or 2022.2. There have been updates to the volumetric clouds and TAA that could have an impact on this behavior.

Homicide likes this.
  5. Homicide

Homicide

Hmm, may i ask, other than the checkbox for dynamic resolution on the camera, where else would dynamic res settings be?

Here's an image of those settings, basically , default.

https://ibb.co/rwgV4sx

I've been avoiding 2022 because i noticed it has no LTS support. Considered it still in beta. But also, im just not so sure that is really the issue, but more so im convinced it is my own lack of understanding hdrp light / exposure. I mean, i have removed exposure because i found all my lights besides the directional werent functioning correctly (or rather as i would have expected) with it enabled. It seemed like no matter how much intensity a point light had , it couldnt be seen even in moonlight with the default exposure settings.

Anyways, thanks mate, appreciate the information. i will look into what you have mentioned. Ty.

6. akent99

akent99

I was going to suggest turning off the anti-aliasing setting on your scene camera (the camera drop down menu at the top of the scene window) as a quick experiment to see if it fixes it. I am using 2022.1 and turned off TAA as it was giving me grief. Not the same effect in my case, but quick to try. (Note: TAA does have some accumulation speed settings you can fiddle with.)

I assume Unity is creating a cube around the scene to render the sky onto, so you are seeing the corner of that cube due to artifacts.

Homicide likes this.
  7. Homicide

Homicide

Hmm, ok , well , after disabling, tinker, enabling and tinkering, TAA or not , didnt seem to resolve this. :( I shall keep seeing what i can see. Ty.

EDIT SOLVED: Thanks guys, after playing around a bunch more, i discovered under volumetric clouds, that Ghosting Reduction was not enabled. Enabling it completely killed all the artifacts i was seeing. Thanks again.

m0nsky likes this.