Search Unity

[Solved] SceneManager.LoadScene() make the scene darker... a bug?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by alexeu, Jul 26, 2018.

1. alexeu

alexeu

Hi everyone,
    i dont want to waste your time but if you would make a test, that will take less than 2 minutes.
    Just take a default new scene and add a 3d gameobject with a material (not very dark).
    Attach the (basic) script to the GO (or wathever). The script just reload the scene when the spacebar is pressed (as you can see).

Here after reloading the scene, the light (basic Directional light) seems loosing the half of its original intensity.
    But nothing has changed in the inspector. Same intensity for Half light rendering(?!).
    Other thing : the hierarchy is all collapsed...

What's wrong?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;
    4. public class TestSceneScript : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     void Update ()
    7.     {
    8.         if (Input.GetButton("Jump")) // Any button you wish
    9.         {
    10.             print("Scene has been reloaded");
    11.             SceneManager.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name);
    12.         }
    13.     }
    14. }
    Thank you for making the test.

2. V_Kalinichenko

V_Kalinichenko

Unity Technologies

Hey,

Thanks for reporting the issue!

This bug is known and is related to ambient light probe always being reset to zero after reloading the scene through the script: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/materials-albedo-ignored-on-restart. As you may see, it has already been fixed in Unity 2018.2.0f2 along with the upcoming 2018.3 version.

Also, it's worth noting that this bug has a workaround: if you disable Auto Generate checkbox in the Lighting settings window, resetting of ambient probe won't happen.

I hope my answer was helpful. Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Aldeminor and alexeu like this.
  3. alexeu

alexeu

Thank you w1shmast3r for your answer. And yes that was Helpful :).
    I'm still using 2017.3.1f1.
    The issue seems not happening when using Post Processing.

Thanks again

V_Kalinichenko likes this.
  4. linenum

linenum

I'm using Unity 2020.3.4f1

I updated the code.

I attached the code to a Cube and when I press the key (space) the cube goes darker. The hierarchy is also collapsed.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;
    3. public class TestSceneScript : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     void Update ()
    6.     {
    7.         if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Space)) // Any key you wish
    8.         {
    9.             Debug.Log("reloaded");
    10.             SceneManager.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name);
    11.         }
    12.     }
    13. }

5. linenum

linenum

The "Light Probe Visualization" setting seems to already have Auto Generate unticked....

Heriloga likes this.
  6. linenum

linenum

The simplest work-around I've come across is:

Go to Window>Rendering> Lighting >Environment

In Environment Lighting set Intensity Multiplier to 0

In Environment Reflections set Intensity Multiplier to 0

a17714375388, nixalott and tokar_dev like this.
  7. Erenquin

Erenquin

8. Heriloga

Heriloga

Any working solution for this bug?

unnanego likes this.
  9. linenum

linenum

Did you try post #6?
    BTW post #4 is a quick method for testing the presence of the bug....

namqwerty12345 likes this.
  10. razamondo

razamondo

A workaround in for my problem in Unity 2020.3.8f1
    When I reloaded the active scene it would have the same effect as changing the lighting environment and reflections multipliers to 0.

My solution was to generate lighting next to the greyed out auto generate box under Window > Rendering > Lighting.
    After generating once manually when I reload the scene with a script lighting in my scene remains at full brightness.

Posting as this is the first thread that showed up when googling to maybe help out the next person to google this problem.

11. linenum

linenum

That's a great solution - it makes the lighting go from bright to bright. (with mine it went from dark to dark)...

12. selvendranks

selvendranks

If this problems occurs in built game . Then change graphics setting to legacy vertex lit .it worked for me.

13. Nikil07

Nikil07

This works. OMG this is such a weird bug.

jiahern likes this.
  14. concretegames

concretegames

a bit late, for me it worked by ticking and un-ticking Auto Generate from the Lighting window, and cancel generating lightmaps.

15. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

16. Yandalf

Yandalf

I've been having this problem as well in Unity 2020.3.8f1, however I've also managed to get this issue on mobile build.
    My situation is a bit different, since I am actually using no pre-baked lighting or light probes at all. My project is based on Google's Maps for Unity package, so prebaked lighting is completely irrelevant for me.

My setup is first loading in a bootstrap scene without camera or lights and then additively loading in the main game scene. Both scenes share the same Light Settings asset with all settings disabled.
    Interestingly, if I build my project with the bootstrap scene open in editor, I get the faulty dark lighting, but when I build with the main game scene open the resulting lighting in the build is correct.

17. Corwin375

Corwin375

I've just updated to the latest LTS - 2020.3.18f1 and the issue is still there. Changing Rendering options to 0 or changing the default skybox to none helps, it does require to readjust light settings, which can be a bit of an extra work across multiple games.

Any ideas if this going to be fixed in 2020.3 LTS?

18. peterroth124

peterroth124

This works

19. TomazMB

TomazMB

Hello, I can confirm that this bug still persist in version Unity 2020.3.18f1. I have followed the Project Boost from Gamedev.tv and in the lecture "Respawn using SceneManager". After respawning of my rocket, the light intensity in the scene is much darker -> see the picture. The code was:

using UnityEngine;
    using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;

public class CollisonHandler : MonoBehaviour
    {
    void OnCollisionEnter(Collision other)
    {
    switch (other.gameObject.tag)
    {
    case "Friendly":
    Debug.Log("This thing is friendly");
    break;
    case "Finish":
    Debug.Log("Congrats, yo, you finished");
    break;
    case "Fuel":
    Debug.Log("You picked up fuel");
    break;
    default:
    ReloadLevel();
    break;
    }
    }

void ReloadLevel()
    {
    int currentSceneIndex = SceneManager.GetActiveScene().buildIndex;
    SceneManager.LoadScene(currentSceneIndex);
    }
    }

Someone from Unity, can you confirm it is a bug? Thank you.

Attached Files:

20. TomazMB

TomazMB

Hello, I can also confirm that this metod worked as a solution:

21. mucahiterenozkur

mucahiterenozkur

This works on me too, thanks a lot my friend :)

22. Dreamaster1111

Dreamaster1111

It works! Thank you!

23. GamesbyJP

GamesbyJP

Bumping because I encountered the same issue.
    Using 2020.3.20f1.

24. GamesbyJP

GamesbyJP

25. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

Hey. Are you using Auto Generate lighting? How are your settings for environment lighting set, and did you try any of the workarounds in the thread?

26. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

I'm gonna drop some information about environment lighting in this thread, in case someone finds it helpful.

What we refer to as environment lighting roughly speaking consists of 2 elements, ambient lighting and reflections from the skybox. With default settings in the Environment tab (Environment lighting source = Skybox, Environment reflections source = Skybox) both of these elements are baked. Concretely, the 'Ambient Probe' describes ambient lighting while the 'Default Skybox Reflection' cubemap controls default environment reflections - it's like a fallback for reflection probes. The latter is only exposed when using Environment reflections source = Custom.

Not too long ago, Auto Generate lighting was changed to no longer default to enabled in most cases. Since we previously relied on this default to bake the Ambient Probe and Default Skybox Reflections for newly created scenes, this change caused scenes to be missing said data until a first bake. To alleviate that, we introduced a new system which would automatically bake these pieces of data for scenes where a first bake had not already occurred. That system was backported to various LTS versions.

The baked data is stored as temporary files in the GI Cache, and we've had some issues with that behavior in the past, most of which have either been fixed or are currently being investigated. My best advice is to not rely on the data being present at all times - for now, it's mostly useful when previewing a scene in editor. To ensure that a scene has necessary baked data for environment lighting, one should at some point perform a manual bake on the scene using the Generate Lighting button. I suspect that simply performing this first time bake will eliminate the issues a few of the people in here are experiencing, but don't hesitate to open bug reports if that isn't the case.

I appreciate that this isn't always possible to do, for example if a scene is created from scratch at runtime, or if you want to dynamically change the skybox and/or other things that may affect environment lighting. Unfortunately, it isn't currently very straight forward to rebake data for environment lighting at runtime, although it is still possible. To rebake the ambient probe, one can call DynamicGI.UpdateEnvironment or use RenderSettings.ambientProbe to set it manually to some predetermined SH coefficients. As for the Default Skybox Reflection cubemap, it is a little more involved. My best workaround is to use Unity's built in functionality for baking reflection probes at runtime, and then updating the cubemap manually. Below is an example script which shows one way to do this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class UpdateSky : MonoBehaviour {
    2.     ReflectionProbe baker;
    4.     void Start() {
    5.         baker = gameObject.AddComponent<ReflectionProbe>();
    6.         baker.cullingMask = 0;
    7.         baker.refreshMode = ReflectionProbeRefreshMode.ViaScripting;
    8.         baker.mode = ReflectionProbeMode.Realtime;
    9.         baker.timeSlicingMode = ReflectionProbeTimeSlicingMode.NoTimeSlicing;
    11.         RenderSettings.defaultReflectionMode = DefaultReflectionMode.Custom;
    12.         StartCoroutine(UpdateEnvironment());
    13.     }
    15.     IEnumerator UpdateEnvironment() {
    16.         DynamicGI.UpdateEnvironment();
    17.         baker.RenderProbe();
    18.         yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame();
    19.         RenderSettings.customReflectionTexture = baker.texture;
    20.     }
    21. }
    Putting this script on a GameObject in the scene should allow you to update both the ambient probe and default skybox reflection by calling the
    UpdateEnvironment
    coroutine. Notice the use of
    baker.cullingMask = 0
    such that the reflection probe only sees the skybox.

27. thetimmy

thetimmy

This also works for me. They should include this fix in the Unity Tutorials (Junior Programmer) because that is where I first encountered the problem.

28. sakus

sakus

What setting is this?

I have this problem on Unity 2021.2 in two projects across different platforms - everything is fine in editor but builds are missing the environmental light totally. I can replicate the same (wrong) look in editor by setting environmental light to skybox and intensity 0 or color black.

No matter what I try (realtime, baked, auto-bake, bake manually, clear baked stuff, what ever) I can't seem to make it look like it should in any of my builds, it's driving me absolutely mad.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  29. tokar_dev

tokar_dev

I switch Rendering>Lighting in section Environment: Environment Lighting Source: to Color. It works for me.

30. Davidpander

Davidpander

THANK YOU!!!

31. unity_V8bZCn-egVGPYw

unity_V8bZCn-egVGPYw

I'm using unity 2020.3.25f1 and had the same problem even on a real android device.
    Finally, I figured out where the problem is.
    The problem is that the directional light settings in your first scene are different from other scenes.
    In my case, I had a Loader scene. I copied directional light settings from one of the other scenes to the Loader scene and that's it. my problem was gone.

aloften and josealfu like this.
  32. kupikey

kupikey

Thanks for solving the issue for me unity_V8bZCn-egVGPYw !
    This only happens if scenes don't have the same directional lightning object in scene. After I copied the same directional light to all scenes, there was no more problems!

33. jensklein1

jensklein1

...reading this entire thread about a simple task to load a next scene. wow. @kupikey - your solution is the one, and only one, which worked! Thank you:)

34. josealfu

josealfu

This was the winner for me. Thanks.

35. Bmco

Bmco

I had a similar problem, but the Rendering/Lighting Window is very deceptive about which Scene you're changing the settings on. I had a Main Start Up Scene that I was accidentally setting all the light options for. When I changed the active scene to a level scene, I lost my Skybox. If you're going to change Lighting Settings, make sure all other scenes are unloaded.

Ideally, the Rendering/Lighting Window would have a dropdown displaying the Scene you're changing the properties for.

36. PsiconLab

PsiconLab

Yep. This worked.

Here's a complete file (had to tweak the customReflection bit) for copy and pasting.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEngine.Rendering;
    5. public class UpdateSky : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     ReflectionProbe baker;
    9.     void Start()
    10.     {
    11.         baker = gameObject.AddComponent<ReflectionProbe>();
    12.         baker.cullingMask = 0;
    13.         baker.refreshMode = ReflectionProbeRefreshMode.ViaScripting;
    14.         baker.mode = ReflectionProbeMode.Realtime;
    15.         baker.timeSlicingMode = ReflectionProbeTimeSlicingMode.NoTimeSlicing;
    17.         RenderSettings.defaultReflectionMode = DefaultReflectionMode.Custom;
    18.         StartCoroutine(UpdateEnvironment());
    19.     }
    21.     IEnumerator UpdateEnvironment()
    22.     {
    23.         DynamicGI.UpdateEnvironment();
    24.         baker.RenderProbe();
    25.         yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame();
    26.         RenderSettings.customReflection = baker.texture;
    27.     }
    28. }

TigerHix and Pema-Malling like this.
  37. aloften

aloften

This fixed it for me in 2021.3.11f1

I did not need my lighting in my menu scene so I deleted it(which was coming anyways).

If anyone else is experiencing this, using an async scene manager that is always loaded is a potential solution. You could probably run your lighting from there and just turn things on or off with a lightManager script. IF the bug is truly related to having a different type of lighting, this SHOULD fix it since the lighting would not be destroyed between scenes.

38. TomazMB

TomazMB

Hi,

I've tried your method since I had the same issue that in one scene the lighting was on and after switching from another scene to before OK scene, this scene appears darker, as if the lighting was set to off. But what I did was that in the first scene I set both your settings to 0 and save, and then I set both settings back to 1. The lighting in the second scene (which was switched from the first scene) appeared as it should - lighting is now back on. I'm using Unity 2022.2.1f1 Personal. I still think this is a bug who also appear in this recent version. Thank you.

39. alexu

alexu

Works, thank you!

40. TigerHix

TigerHix

Worked with additive scenes. Huge saver! Thanks!

41. leozzyzheng2

leozzyzheng2

I'm facing the same problem on 2022.3.10f1.

But my problem is even if I load Scene B from A and they have the same lighting settings, the environment light from Skybox is still been disabled. If it is caused by not baking light data, why the environment light is working when I directly launch Scene B?

I think it is a bug.

42. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

The environment lighting used is determined by the currently active scene (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.SceneManager.SetActiveScene.html) - it's marked in bold text in the hierarchy, and there is only on active scene, regardless of how many scenes are loaded. If the currently active scene has been baked, and you still aren't seeing environment lighting, feel free to file a bug report.

43. XJonOneX

XJonOneX

Excellent information, worthy of a bump. Generating lighting for all my additive scenes fixed the issue in 2022.3.13f1. I only have one directional light active amongst all the scenes.