Search Unity

IDE frustrations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frosted, Jan 26, 2020.

1. frosted

frosted

Trying to declare a float field:
    RqVmnTQpfm.gif

Obviously I didn't mean
    private float X
    I meant
    OnAudioFilterRead
    !

I just had f**king rename fail on me just now!
    Jo5lDxSa5a.gif

The code complete fails me on a regular basis in a way resharper never did. The unity integration is great, but I'm not sure its worth it with these minor annoyances.

Been using Rider for the last 2-3 months and seriously considering trashing it.

Anyone else having these kinds of problems? Is my install corrupt or something?

EDIT:
    I forgot this one. I think this is because it's static (duplicate targets for single method)?
    tc5A4KnIR8.gif

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. citizenmatt

citizenmatt

JetBrains Employee

Sorry to hear you're having issues with Rider. Hopefully, we can get you back on track.

The first problem, with an incorrect autocomplete on float, has just been fixed for Rider 2020.1 - we were matching what you typed with the parameters of the autocomplete suggestion, rather than just the name.

As for the other two issues, I can't say I've seen these before. Can you try to invalidate the caches, please? File -> Invalidate Caches and restart. You shouldn't need to do this, but it can be helpful when troubleshooting weird behaviour. I rather suspect this will fix both issues, but if it doesn't, please can you grab logs and create an issue? We can take a proper look at what's going on.

xVergilx and frosted like this.
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

VSCode does the same thing on occasion with autocomplete. Only upon trying to type int it pulls out something like IPhoneSettingWithAVeryLongNameYouHaveNeverHeardOfBefore.

Speaking of which, you could try VSCode if you haven't before.

User340 likes this.
  4. frosted

frosted

This cleared the duplicate problem thankfully. Rename issue was a fluke.

Do you have a release date for 2020.1, or a plan to release patch for the float thing?

@neginfinity I don't like problems like this, I was using an old version of visual studio with resharper for years and years with really flawless code complete.Upgrading to the most modern software has been kind of a step backward except for unity debugger integration (great job on that jetbrains).

5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Coming from Java background where I use IntelliJ I still find Rider the most comfortable IDE, but there's definitely a lot more weird behaviour in Rider.

(Not that that helps you in any way)

6. neginfinity

neginfinity

Unfortunately, the only way to avoid issues like that, as far as I can tell, is to use vim/emacs instead of modern editors.

Visual Studio, in my opinion, have been going backwards since version 2008, and with each version becomes more bloated and awkward.

VSCode provides decent autocomplete in a sense that it is fast, but it also occasionally overly eagerly tries to suggest identifiers.

7. spacefrog

spacefrog

Is it finally able to deal with C# Symbol defines ( all #if UNITY_EDITOR etc.. ) correctly ?
    I really tried hard to use VSCode several times as i love is light weight compared to VS, but ultimately it was not usable for me because code highlighting didn't represent the real active code because it wasn't able to interpret those symbol defines and conditions correctly

8. neginfinity

neginfinity

I would need to double check because right now I don't remember and because I don't use those particular ifdefs often.

For me the issue here is that Visual Studio was never usable for me in C# mode due to absolutely infuriating problem that hasn't been fixed for years. This one:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions...rting-of-space-before-opening-brace-of-blocks
    Apparently this existed at least since 2013, but bringing it up would result in a response saying "we have other features prioritized!". So they won't ever fix this.

Monodevelop doesn't have this issue, however, monodevelop has been deprecated by unity. So the next possible option was VSCode. I found it to be good enough.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

neginfinity likes this.
  10. Player7

Player7

yup pretty much the main reason I don't use vscode with unity... that and the debugging in vscode was garbage last time I tried it.

For the most part visual studio is still better, apart from its dated default keyboard binding for things.. I guess it is user change able-...prefere vscode keyboard shortcuts for things as its more updated, plus vscode just has alot of community addon support now. Visual Studio has a better scrollmap though, and it's tabbar is better aswel.. Jetbrains is to stupid to fix its own scrollbar and add built in scrollmap support for me to even waste my time with it's Rider ide. Bad enough I have to use Intellij at work.

11. neginfinity

neginfinity

Well, this little glitch could have been fixed in a few days at most, it hasn't been fixed for years, and as far as I can tell, tools aren't supposed to annoy me, but complement my abilities instead. So, yeah, it is the biggest issue in the whole environment. For me.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Agreed, and just out of curiousity I went looking for the issue on their tracker and came across an entry saying that it won't be handled because they expect it to be something able to be provided through a formatting extension API.

https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/37044 - the issue about the space itself
    https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn/issues/31691 - the formatting extension api

I can understand wanting to pass some responsibility on to the user but formatting is a basic feature of an IDE and if you're not going to do the basics yourself then you shouldn't be charging money for your IDE.

13. neginfinity

neginfinity

And when Monodevelop (likely the buggiest IDE in the existence) doesn't have this particular problem.... I think you get the picture.

It really feels like there's some irrational stubbornness on dev side in case of this particular bug, though.

14. Tzan

Tzan

VS Scroll Map I use that all day long, couldn't live without it.

15. frosted

frosted

I just changed the title of this thread. I don't want to trash Rider publicly.