Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Restoring Previous Revision Deletes Files Outside The Assets Folder

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by plasmiceuphoria, Feb 8, 2017.

1. plasmiceuphoria

plasmiceuphoria

I restored a revision and found that I was missing files from the root project folder (the one that contains the Assets and Library folders).

Collaborate shouldn't touch anything outside of the Assets folder, should it? I lost my Android keystore file and now I have to set up my whole Google Play app again. That's what I get for not backing it up, but I expect if you can't upload files outside Assets that files outside Assets won't get deleted as well.

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Collab should not affect any files outside of the Assets folder so I'd be really surprised if you lost your keystore file because of it. You're correct in expecting that if the file was never uploaded using Collab then going to a previous revision should have no effect on it. Would you mind sharing your project ID so that we can double check if anything odd happened on our end?

3. Sievlar

Sievlar

I have the exact same experience. All my build output directories were deleted, I currently put them under a "Builds" folder in the root folder. I.e. it deleted my Android and Win10 output folders & keystore for Android. Luckily I am paranoid and back everything up, so no data loss, but an inconvenience.

I am currently using 5.5.0p4.

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@Sievlar could you go into more detail about when you noticed your build output folders had been deleted? Were you restoring to a previous revision at any point or just publishing new commits? Could you also share your Project ID so that we can debug the problem on our end?

It never hurts to be paranoid when it comes to backing up your data but we also don't want you to feel that you have to do that with Collaborate. Please let us know if you notice it again and submit a bug report (Help->Submit a bug) as soon as it happens.

5. NatsupyYui

NatsupyYui

Sorry but I have the same issue when restoring back, folder build was deleted, and file *.sln, files github too!

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @NatsupyYui! This was a nasty bug that we resolved for 2017.1. Which version of Unity are you using?

7. NatsupyYui

NatsupyYui

I'm using version 5.6.2f1, this's so bad!

8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

You're right. We will be back porting this fix to 5.6. We'll update this thread when we know which patch it will be available in.

9. jobo22

jobo22

@ryanc-unity I just lost my key store using collab. I just uploaded my game to open beta on google play yesterday and just got featured on BetaBound and have made a submission to Google play early access. There is no was I can update my game now. Is there any way for me to get my key store back? Stupid me did not make a backup.

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@jobo22 I'm extremely sorry to hear about that! Have you set up your project to use Cloud Build, by any chance? That could help us recover your keystore.

11. Rscar

Rscar

Hello @ryanc-unity - I'm in desperate need of help with this too. Had my keystore in the project and just did a Collab restore, and now it is lost...I did not have Cloud Build enabled. Is there anything that can be done on your end? Scrambling over here, not sure I'm going to be able to fix locally...

My project ID: 69790c15-2e80-47be-ac28-d65107ac259b

Unity 5.6.2f1

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  12. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Rscar! I'm incredibly sorry, but I'm afraid that the only other option of recovering your keystore file is to use a disk recovery tool since Collab only tracks changes inside of the Assets and ProjectSettings folders. You can try either of the following tools to see if they will be able to recover your missing file:

https://www.piriform.com/recuva
    https://datarecovery.wondershare.com/data-recovery-mac/

Collab in 5.6 is still very much a BETA product, but that doesn't make incidents like these any less painful, for you or for us. We made sure to fix this issue in 2017.1 and will look into a back port for 5.6 if possible. Please accept our heartfelt apology. :(

13. The_BenEvans

The_BenEvans

Any progress with fixing this in 5.6? I encountered it the other day: keystore, builds folder and sound assets that were in the gitignore list have disappeared (5.6.3p4). Didn't hit me too hard though but it'd be nice not to worry about this happening in the future.

14. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @The_BenEvans! I'm happy to report that we do have a backport fix on the way! Unity 5.6.4p1, which includes this fix, is currently being tested and should be available to users next week! Thank you again for everyone's patience and I'm incredibly sorry for the difficulty that this issue has caused.

15. The_BenEvans

The_BenEvans

Great! Thanks for letting me know so quickly

16. Juanola_

Juanola_

Dear Ryan,

I had the exactly same problem, luckily I was able to recover it with one of the tools you posted. Backuping all my keys now!

Regarding the bug, is it solved?

17. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Juanola_! I'm really happy to hear that one of those tools helped you to recover your key! Yes, the bug fix will be in 5.6.4p1.