Search Unity

Bug [Solved, reluctantly] Unity Hub 2.3.1 wouldn't open project

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by yanyoumo_unity, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yanyoumo_unity

yanyoumo_unity

Hi i've upgrade to Hub 2.3.1. However, it keep can't open my project anymore.
    I went to Log file and found following message:

{"moduleName":"RestEvent:project","level":"info","message":"[ 'onProjectOpen data:', { projectPath: 'F:/Root_repo' } ]","timestamp":"2020-05-15T09:55:10.935Z"}
    {"moduleName":"UnityIPCServer","level":"info","message":"[ 'client process has connected to Unity-hubIPCService!' ]","timestamp":"2020-05-15T09:55:16.222Z"}
    {"moduleName":"HubIPCService","level":"info","message":"[ 'socket has disconnected: [object Object] , false!' ]","timestamp":"2020-05-15T09:55:26.230Z"}
    {"moduleName":"LaunchProcess","level":"info","message":"[ 'child process exited with code 0' ]","timestamp":"2020-05-15T09:55:26.258Z"}

it seems have difficulities on connecting UnityIPCServer, any way to bypass or somehow?

2. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @yanyoumo_unity ,
    Thanks for posting, I can't tell for sure this is the reason as of why the project did not open. The Unity Editor operate without connection to Hub after all.
    For a workaround, you may open the project directly using the Unity Editor's commandline, passing the project path as argument.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.html

If that doesn't work, we would like to ask reporting a bug using the Bug Reporter under Hub's tray menu, it will attach logs from both Editor and Hub automatically.

Hope this helps

3. yanyoumo_unity

yanyoumo_unity

No, it doesn't, I tried the commandline method.
    It would pull up the hub anyway, and stuck into the loop.
    I could create a new project thought hub(weird), then I use "open project", it pull up the hub! (again).

4. yanyoumo_unity

yanyoumo_unity

FYI, I've submitted this bug, and after some digging on the forum, I noticed some one metioned that using VPN could solve this problem. Indeed, I'm using a VPN, however, I've also tried that close the software, problem remains. Also this issue was not present in 2.3.0

5. yanyoumo_unity

yanyoumo_unity

IT WAS RESOLVED…………

After some hours of trial and error. I found the solution.
    By switching from cable connection to wifi !!
    To the same router, the same ISP.

Which have nothing to do with my VPN.

And this seemed to be some kind of one-off initialization issue.
    After the first opening only one project though wi-fi, all the other project open with out any issue. It's may due to my ignorace, however, I faild to see the reasonable connection between these two attribute.

It was resolved, It was some experience, but surely wasn't a pleasant one.
    I've no idea why you keep pushing Unity hub(may or may not be liscencing).
    It was a good idea, however, it is a not-polished and not-fun-anymore process.

Please give some more polishing and more reliable "back-up" method.

masakatsu and Tor-Vestergaard like this.
  6. Tor-Vestergaard

Tor-Vestergaard

I don't know what unearthly trials you must have gone through to have stumbled upon this piece of information, but enabling my Wireless Network Adapter (not even using it or being connected to wifi, just having the wireless adapter enabled was enough to make Unity willing to open again. Don't even need to connect to a wifi network! I would never, ever have figured this out on my own.

Thank you!

yanyoumo_unity likes this.
  7. yanyoumo_unity

yanyoumo_unity

I thought is was my ISP to blame, they may or may not blocked some port(?). So I was trying to connect to my iPhone hotspot. However, just out of insight, I connected to the same router. Then, Boom!!

Despite how this happed, today my Unity indeed prompted my a box that saying it did’t linked to a hub. However, that is wrong...... I did have unity hub and active license. Anyway, this time the prompted box allow me to bypass the hub and launch the Unity.

It’s still a mess...... but the back-up launch mechanism is always a big plus.

Tor-Vestergaard likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have this problem too :(

9. LudenUK

LudenUK

I have this problem too. It launches fine on my bedroom PC but I've tried everything including reinstalling 3 times on my lounge PC but I get the same errors:
    {"moduleName":"HubIPCService","level":"info","message":"[ 'socket has disconnected: [object Object] , false!' ]","timestamp":"2020-05-29T21:06:58.867Z"}

I don't understand because I use same VPN on both machines, same router etc... Why one and not the other? I've tried everything above and I can't even get into my project :(

UPDATE: Okay, so I eventually got it to work but it took DOZENS of attempts. For me, I was disconnected from my VPN and using LAN card with my wifi card disabled before it would let me in. I also had to restart Windows a few times too.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  10. Tudu

Tudu

Thank you, that solved it for me too, but i had it the other way around. I use Wifi on my PC and disabled my ethernet adapter. I enabled my ethernet adapter and now it works again.

11. Protozoaire

Protozoaire

Same here, since the last update I have to launch Unity directly (without Unity Hub) to open my projects ...

12. yanyoumo_unity

yanyoumo_unity

joeksy Hi,
    Time has pass, it's now 2.3.5 unity hub. I could not launch my project AT ALL. now.
    Any project opening give a 【Unity Launch Error】. And, again, any method claimed able to bypass hub faild.
    Please, Reply.

13. yanyoumo_unity

yanyoumo_unity

It's been around a hour since this issue happed, I was just fumbling around with network setting(again). Then the project suddenly opened. I was indeed happy for able to do the work. However opening-the-project should be a click-away work. Should NOT be a lottery!!!

By the way, please look into why in my case all the bypass-method would eventually pull up the hub and stand in my way. I couldn't think of any reasonable hardware setting could cause this. Just ask any specific part of my rig, then I'll provide.

Also, please agree that just give a blank 【Unity Launch Error】 is a realy realy bad idea.

And also, I know you push hub into use is for some liscencing enhancement, but please aknowledge, is not nice to meet Unity Hub. It caused way more hussle and frustration than it should be.

14. yanyoumo_unity

yanyoumo_unity

Hey, I'm back, it has been a few day. I don't even know if this would be solved at all. However, I'm still posting some daily new find here. Somehow...I'm writing this sort of like a SCP report....

SCP-78594 Partial Testing Log: (yes, this title is a SCP reference joke , I need have some fun in this mess)
    All in all, I've find some pattern, the 【Unity Launch Error】 would occur every re-start of my PC. I haven't hammer down any specific method to bypass it 10 in 10. However, there are some action that I've done:

1. disconnect VPN
    2. try launch Unity Editor though a shortcut.
    3. Hub would still be pull-up.
    4. open the desired project.
    5. No 【Unity Launch Error】 and open project A-OK.

End of Log

Well, I haven't use a QA-like-test-case work flow, but since I'm now forced to trial-and-error for this issue. I'll keep record new finding and hope for give some redemption to who experiencing similar issue...

15. bsterling_dev

bsterling_dev

I constantly have this problem, then it works for seemingly no reason for a day or two, and then again for no reason stops working...

My first question, why on earth can I not open a Unity project completely 100% offline? Is a connection really required? If I've manually activated my license key and I'm not even running any builds, I should be able to open the editor completely 100% offline regardless of whether I use Unity Hub or not.

Second question, it seems to be tied to the License, because every time this happens, it happens for a while and I haven't figured out how to get it to trigger, but when it does happen, it eventually will randomly for no reason say I have no active license and need to go to manage license. I have literally manually activated the same license dozens of times, how has this not been figured out yet, I have never had this much trouble managing a license in over 10 years of software development.

There also seems to be some sort of timeout or polling period where it checks for the license because I can activate my license and then launch unity no problem completely disconnected from the internet for a day or two before this happens again, but there seems to be no rime or reason why it suddenly says "Nope, you have no license anymore because we can't verify it, so even though we let you use it for the last few days we're going to stop you now with no warning, nothing in the logs other than "The child process exited with code 0".

Come on Unity, I've been using Unity in some form or another since 2011, there have always been these types of issues, it just seems to be getting worse and worse.

yanyoumo_unity likes this.
  16. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Hi bsterling_dev! Thank you for your feedback!

Please, don't necro/revive old threads.
    I'll raise this with the hub team, but in the future please create a new thread for your feedback/issues.

I'll lock this thread for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.