Search Unity

Feedback [Solved]Problems with Animation workflow.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Shinado, Aug 13, 2019.

?

So what do you think, how will this thing be?

1. Excellent

50.0%
  2. Very Good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ok-ok

50.0%
  5. Bad Idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Shinado

Shinado

I wanted to share a suggestion to improve animation workflow....
    It is about redesigning the Animator window.
    We know that the animation states are shown in a graph and we can extend some lil' arrows to make transitions. But.... making the arrows changing transition durations and adding conditions take a lots of time!
    I mean why do Unity needs to think that we have made an animation clip but we will not use it, also why does it think we don't need immediate transitions!? Would'nt it be better if the animator window is in a form of a graph only but there is an option in the menu(The one which open by right click) known as 'Make all posible transitons'..... It will make all transitons, for eg. there are 3 animation clips, it will make 6 transitions.... Also, all the transitions by deafault are immediate. It will save our time, where we have 8 or more animations (And you get to know, you can't also multi-edit the transitions).

So, basically I want that ->
    • We get an option to create all posible transitions.
    • All transitions are by default immediate.
    We can multi edit the transitions.

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

If you want to transition to a state without setting up a transition, just call CrossFade instead of setting a parameter.

Or if you want to do it instantly, call Play.

There are plenty of things wrong with the Animator Controller system, but I don't see this as being one of them.

3. Shinado

Shinado

I know that but that is with Animation component in scripting, not the Animator component..... Animation component is a legacy feature and I don't use it in my games.... I want the normal and commonly used Animator window should be updated wherein we have the transitions with duration 0 so that it is immediate. Also the transitions are multi editable and there is an option to create all possible transitions in the graph. I want that because we always need immediate transitions, I have never made or seen development or played a game where transition duration is necessary, so why default transition have delays.... Changing this default will save our time....overall, I want to stick to good ol' animator component and avoid any plugins.

4. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

5. Shinado

Shinado

I just checked the links and found that play method and cross fade is also for Animator...... But they are only for scripts, I am talking about the graph of the Animator Window.

Top left window. People still use that graph, and waste a lots of time changing default settings for each transition( I mean those white arrows). Until the transition is complete, the previous animation repeats itself and it looks wierd. I just want to say that these transitions should be immediate by default, saving our time and we need not change it for every transition... Or atleast, they are multi editable like gameobjects, properties,components etc. are.

I have seen that in unity , it still snaps to start of animation rather than eventually reaching the bone positions, for eg. Bone B in animation A is at 50 on x axis and in Animation C , it is at 75 on x axis... Rather than going from 50 to 75 in the time of transition, it will keep repeating Animation A till transition is complete and snap to 75 on x axis once transition is complete

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  6. Shinado

Shinado

And BTW, THANKS A LOT for telling me about those script methods to change anim.....I really loved them... Faster, better, and performant ... Are they any drawbacks of these methods?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Animator anim;
    2. anim.Play("Idle",0,0); // Very useful for me!
    Yay ;)

7. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

My point is that the animator graph won't actually do much without a script controlling it though. So either you set up a parameter and a transition and use a script to set that parameter to trigger it, or if all you want is an instant state change you can skip all that and just call Play instead.

I've seen very few transitions that were ever set to be instantaneous, so there's practically no chance of that becoming the default. Most people want smooth transitions, not instant snapping between poses.

That's not how it works. Either you've found a bug or you're misinterpreting what you're seeing. Maybe you could record a video with something like Screen To Gif and post it.

I don't use Animator Controllers anymore because I find the whole system to be poorly designed, but when I did I used Play and CrossFade as my main way of controlling stuff. Two of the most obvious drawbacks are:
    • Hard coding the transition duration in a script doesn't give you any way to properly preview it.
    • If you use parameters, you can reuse them for multiple things. For example, you could have an "Attack" trigger which causes the transition to your first attack animation, then reuse that same parameter for every other attack in the combo. To do that with Play or CrossFade you would need to pass in the specific name of each state rather than just letting it figure out which attack you are up to. I've never found that sort of thingparticularly useful though, since the logic you can implement in an Animator Controller is so limited that you always end up hacking it together in a script anyway.

8. Shinado

Shinado

Ok, I understood.....I have mostly worked with 2d projects that is why I wanted to have instant transitions but now I see that it is important for 3d... Well, Thanks. for telling me

9. Shinado

Shinado

Ummmm, but still those transitions should be multi-editable. Right?