Search Unity

Resolved SOLVED - 'Player is inactive' error on input - but it's active and working fine

Discussion in 'Input System' started by KennyTheWhale, Mar 22, 2022.

1. KennyTheWhale

KennyTheWhale

Hi, I'll start with the context of what I'm trying to do.
    • I'm making an offline/local multiplayer battle mode for my 2D platformer.
    • Unity 2020.3.17f1, using the new input system.
    • On the player select scene, I have a PlayerConfigManager game object with a script of the same name and a player input manager with 'join players when button is pressed' ticked.
    • The first time any controller or keyboard presses something, it spawns a new 'PlayerConfiguration(clone)' object as a child of the PlayerConfigManager, with a SpawnPlayerSetupMenu script that spawns a small selection menu for that player where they can select their character colour.
    • The PlayerConfiguration(clone) also has a Player gameObject as a child, which is the object of the actual character. During the player select screen, this child Player object is set to inactive (so the object is greyed out on the hierarchy).
    • When the players select their colour and all have chosen 'ready', the in-game scene starts and the SpawnPlayerSetupMenu script uses SetActive(true) to set its own child player object as active.
    Here's where it gets weird (and more related to the input system):
    • Everything 'works' completely fine. The players all spawn and can use all their moves correctly.
    • Yet, for some reason, every time player 1 (regardless of controller/keyboard assigned) does a move e.g. jump or attack (which is meant to start a coroutine), it throws an error: Coroutine 'JumpButtonDown' (or whatever) couldn't be started because the game object 'Player' is inactive!"
    • Other players don't get this, only player 1, and it's weird because the coroutine it says can't run is definitely running - if I put print("working") inside the coroutine then that print runs. And the move gets executed as intended.
    • I'm 99% sure the Player object is active. It's no longer greyed out in the hierarchy since I set it to active, its parent/root are active, and it shows as becoming active when I use activeSelf and activeInHierarchy.
    I also think it might be input system related because the only move that doesn't throw the error is movement (i.e. walking left/right or pressing up/down to enter doors or crouch). These movements are different from the other moves as they are set up as 1D axis values with positive and negative values 1 to -1, while other moves are value action types but without an axis.

They are also scripted a bit differently. Horizontal movement is scripted like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void OnMoveHorizontal(InputAction.CallbackContext context)
    2.     {
    3.         if (playerInputAllowed)
    4.         {
    5.             inputX = context.ReadValue<float>();
    6.             inputX = Mathf.RoundToInt(inputX);
    7.         }
    8.     }
    While other moves are scripted like this (jumping, in this case):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void OnJump(InputAction.CallbackContext context)
    2.     {
    3.         if (context.performed && playerInputAllowed)
    4.         {
    5.             StartCoroutine("JumpButtonDown");
    6.         }
    8.         if (context.canceled && playerInputAllowed)
    9.         {
    10.             StartCoroutine("JumpButtonUp");
    11.         }
    12.     }
    I've tried everything I've managed to find through research for multiple hours, plus what I could think of trying myself (with my limited development knowledge - I'm better at game design). If anyone has any ideas of what's wrong or what else I can try, please let me know. Also tell me if there's anything else you'd like me to confirm. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  2. luizguilherme0856

luizguilherme0856

I had a similar problem. I dont know why this happens. I think its a bug but anyway I just check if the player is not null before calling the method

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void OnJump(CallbackContext context)
    2.     {
    3.         if (player != null)
    4.         {
    5.              player.Jump(context);
    6.         }
    7.     }

KennyTheWhale likes this.
  3. KennyTheWhale

KennyTheWhale

Thank you so much! That worked perfectly. I do wonder why the issue happens but I'm just happy it's gone