Search Unity

TextMesh Pro [SOLVED] Play defaults to "Font material" resulting in hidden or scrambled text

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by UNSH, Jan 20, 2020.

1. UNSH

UNSH

Hi,

So some fonts are hidden or scrambled because of the wrong material being assigned on play and in build.

I'll sum up my findings:
    1. The problem seems arbitrary, but once GameObject is affected the font doesn't show even if I delete and re-add the component.
    2. I can set the material in the inspector but on Play it just defaults to "Font material". Resulting in this Warning: Selected Shader does not support Stencil Masking. Please select the Distance Field or Mobile Distance Field Shader
    3. If I change a setting on the component (in Play) the text switches to the correct material and the problem is solved. Similarly if I set the Bold state of a font to use a different text asset and use bold the problem doesn't appear. I haven't tried but I think I can write a workaround like that, but that doesn't seem like the way to go.
    4. Also it doesn't seem to make a difference if the object is disabled on startup or not.
    5. The text object has also an even scale of 1 in the rect transform and in the font settings that is not changed
    6. Even if I use the default Liberation font the problem remains.
    We are using TMP 1.4.1 from the package manager and Unity 2018.4.10f and have not migrated (at least I think so if we have then we have deleted it some years ago)

Edit 1 : As usual two minutes after the post you find more, it has something to do with I2 Localize.

Edit 2 : And two minutes after that you find the solution. So for anyone with the same issues and TMP & I2. The issue is caused by the secondary terms set to a font reference, just set them to <None>

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020