Search Unity

[SOLVED] Pingpong Ball won't stop bouncing

Discussion in 'Physics' started by theLilaQ, Apr 4, 2016.

1. theLilaQ

theLilaQ

Hi guys,

currently I'm trying to make a ping pong ball, which behaves like an ordinary real-world ping pong ball.

So far, no problem. I assigned a rigidbody and a sphere-collider. The sphere-collider got a material, on which I set the bounciness to 0.85 (apparently about the value a ping pong ball has on a standard solid floor).

The ball bounces fine so far, but when it is about to come to rest, that is where the problems kick in.

Initially, the ball would bounce lower and lower / faster and faster, until it finally "snapped" to the ground. I read that this is because of the "bounce threshold" in the physics settings (please bare with me, I have to write this from memory, since I'm at work right now). I think the default value was 2.0, so I changed it to 0.6.

Now the ball does not get snapped to the ground, but insted won't stop bouncing at all from this small height.

I don't actually get why this is the case, since the bounciness is already set to 0.85, shouldn't it lower it's height by 15% every bounce?

Additional info: I already tried a few thing, give the floor a physics material too, with bounciness 0, adjust the friction parameters etc. but nothing seemed to have any effect on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance & best regards,

LilaQ

2. Zaflis

Zaflis

Just making sure the ball is affected by gravity? Because that's what pushes it down. Both ball and ground needs friction bigger than 0, maybe 0.2 to start with something. If either one is 0 it's same as moving through vacuum space.

3. theLilaQ

theLilaQ