Search Unity

[Solved]Particle System "Physics Module" is stripped - how to prevent without disabling stripping?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by bilalakil, Dec 27, 2019.

1. bilalakil

bilalakil

When running my game on device, I see the following warning in the debug log:

> The ParticleSystem uses a gravityModifier, but the Physics Module is stripped, so using a default value of 9.81m/sec/sec for gravity. Disable stripping in Player Settings to fix this.
    >
    > (Filename: ./Modules/ParticleSystem/Modules/InitialModule.cpp Line: 58)

I've already a solution in place for preventing other Unity classes from being stripped (different types of colliders). However, I don't know what "Physics Module" this is referring to, so I don't know how to solve the problem.

- I don't want to disable stripping - it's a good thing. I just want to prevent this specific module from being stripped, which I usually do by specifically interacting with it in a startup scene (as I've done to solve the other problems).
    - I don't see any Physics module on a Particle System.
    - I tried including a particle system with all modules enabled in the startup scene, but the "Physics Module" is still being stripped.
    - I searched this error online and didn't find anything useful.

How can I prevent this from being stripped, so my gravity modifications can work fine?

2. bilalakil

bilalakil

Turns out that although this is a 2D game, and 2D physics is used everywhere, it seemed to be referring to the 3D physics module that's being stripped.

I tried adding a RB/3D collider to my loading scene prevent a theoretical 3D physics module from being stripped, and now we're good!

Interesting that I needed to include the entire 3D physics module to solve this problem in a 2D game... Would be great if that wasn't necessary!

3. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

FYI: I forwarded this post to the particle devs for you.

richardkettlewell and bilalakil like this.
  4. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hey, yeah the gravity setting in the main particle settings uses the physics module, in case a non-default gravity force is being used (I.e not 9.81)

In the package manager, in the built-in packages list, is the physics module enabled?

And, perhaps more importantly, does 2d physics have its own gravity modifier?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  5. bilalakil

bilalakil

@richardkettlewell Thanks for checking in!

The built-in physics and physics2D packages are enabled.

Looks like 2D has its own: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Physics2D-gravity.html

I suppose there's no way to tell the particle system which physics system to use? It's got a mix of 2D/3D settings - would be useful to be able to select the specific mode or have a separate component(s) with only the relevant settings visible.

6. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Yeah you’re right. It’s an interesting problem - you really ought to be able to pick somehow. Right now a 2d system is still using the 3D system for gravity.

I’ll add something to our roadmap to let you pick.

Thanks!

7. kyuskoj

kyuskoj

@richardkettlewell What should I add to link.xml to avoid this warning. I am on 2019.4

edit: I found out.
    <type fullname="UnityEngine.Physics" preserve="all" />

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    richardkettlewell likes this.
  8. tessellation

tessellation

Hi @richardkettlewell, do you know if this was ever implemented?

9. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hey, no, unfortunately not. We stopped adding new stuff to the old particle system, in favour of committing resource to the Visual Effect Graph instead. But let me look at this again - something this small can still be doable.

10. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

The ability to choose between 2D and 3D gravity will be added in Unity 2022.1.
    Thanks for the nudge on this!

MelvMay likes this.
  11. tessellation

tessellation

12. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Sorry, I don't think so - we don't generally backport new features, in order to reduce the risk of breaking stuff.

13. tessellation

tessellation

Understood, thanks for considering it.