Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] P4Merge in 2017.1

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by challc7, Aug 18, 2017.

1. challc7

challc7

I just updated to Unity 2017.1.0p4, and when I try to diff files, I'm getting this message:

"The configured Diff/Merge tool is not supported. Check your Unity preferences."

P4Merge is selected in External Tools (currently the only diff/merge tool). It was working for me recently under Unity 5.6. Is this a known problem?

2. ryanc-unity

ryanc-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @challc7! We had to disable the use of P4Merge because it's implementation of how it handles merge conflicts did not integrate with the rest of Collab. If you tried to manually resolve a merge conflict in Collab using P4Merge then the tool would delete the contents of your asset instead of opening the base and local versions of the asset to compare between. Obviously, this is not ideal behavior, so we disabled the use of P4Merge with Collab to prevent users from losing work when resolving conflicts.

If you're looking for other diff tools to use with Collab then you can try the following:
    (Windows) WinMerge; TortoiseMerge
    (Mac) Apple File Merge
    (Both) Beyond Compare 4; SourceGear DiffMerge; TkDiff

3. challc7

challc7

Thanks for the info, WinMerge did the trick! It would be nice if P4Merge didn't appear in the options if it's disabled! :)

ryanc-unity likes this.
  4. ryanc-unity

ryanc-unity

Unity Technologies

That's a UI tweak that we'll be adding in future versions. Sorry about the confusion.

5. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

Ok, I installed Beyond Compare 4 in the mac like you suggested, it doesn't show up as a tool in the Preferences, what do I have to do?

6. ryanc-unity

ryanc-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @roberto_sc! Did you try restarting your Mac? A restart is not always required but some diff tools are setup differently than others so it couldn't hurt. Unity should be picking up Beyond Compare 4 if it's installed in the default locations.

7. Krstn

Krstn

@ryanc-unity I also have an issue with Beyond Compare 4. Already tried restarting, it is still not showing up as an option.

Any chance we could define custom merge tools? Jetbrain's Rider & Idea offer merge tool which is awesome and I would like to use that instead of things that look like taken from the 80s.

Thanks

davesili likes this.
  8. ryanc-unity

ryanc-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Krstn. Are you on Windows or Mac? Are you able to get any of the other recommended diff tools to be detected by Unity? Have you tried reinstalling Beyond Compare 4? Did you install it in the default location?

9. Krstn

Krstn

@ryanc-unity damn, sorry. I'm on osx. I've tried installing in the default location, tried running the app manually so that it would set up itself, but nothing. Tried reinstalling, nothing. It's in the default location.

10. ryanc-unity

ryanc-unity

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the delayed response! Have you tried installing a different diff tool, like SourceGear's DiffMerge or Apple's File Merge? Can you check if either of those work for you?

11. _MGB_

_MGB_

Ah, this may explain why I was losing local asset changes in Unity 5 - I was using P4Merge :-/

12. Arano

Arano

@ryanc-unity Found this forum (as i assume many people have) because P4Merge is broken and does not work with unity. You claim "That's a UI tweak that we'll be adding in future versions. Sorry about the confusion." but its been 3 years, when will this happen? seems like a small fix.

13. ryanc-unity

ryanc-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Arano, unfortunately that tweak ended up being a bigger time sync than initially believed so we had to postpone work on it. We have plans to overhaul the whole merge/diff tool selection process and want to give it the focus that it deserves but our attention is still on the new UX. In the meantime, there are plenty of alternative tools that work with Collab that I mentioned earlier in this post.

14. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

This was mentioned but glossed over.. IS there a way to get other tools like Rider's diff/merge tools to be used?

15. ryanc-unity

ryanc-unity

Unity Technologies

The official way to request other diff/merge tools to support is by opening a thread in this forum with the prefix "[Feature Request]" asking which tool you'd like supported. Ideally, we'd prefer to replace the current dropdown list of predefined tools with the option to specify any tool the user wants, but it isn't something that we have the bandwidth to address at this time.